Euro 2020 and 2021

368 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Grew up on it. 

A bit like spaetzli and dumplings maybe you can acquire a taste for it in later life if you really persist. I refuse to persist in in acquiring a taste for watching boys chase balls. I never understood the excitement of the crowd. Or the amount of money spent on infrastructure or space dedicated to it in the press to entertain the boys. Fun gal I know but it really doesn't float my boat. I'm quite enjoying reading all your comments though. :D

Hoping for a sporting celebration in today's match, with everyone remembering its just a sport, nothing more than that. Heartened listening to the German media who see it pretty much that way. Most, players and fans see it as a great occasion to look forward to. 

Growing up in England, I remember that all too much of the time, the tone was hostile for such games, unpleasant and unnecessary abuse which even spilled over into hooliganism. Luckily, I think there is now less outright hostility, which may have come through the passage of time and memories of the War becoming more distant.  I think prominent Germans in the UK, such as Klopp, Klinsmann and others in the public eye have helped pave the way for greater acceptance.  

Today's game could go either way. England has the tighter defence, but Germany has more creativity going forward from midfield. If England are to win, it will probably be a 1-0 or after pens. If its an open game, I expect Germany to win.  

1 hour ago, alexunterwegs said:

the tone was hostile for such games, unpleasant and unnecessary abuse which even spilled over into hooliganism. Luckily, I think there is now less outright hostility, which may have come through the passage of time and memories of the War becoming more distant.

Didn't I hear recently about English fans (hooligans) singing some song about 10 bombers or whatever it was?

But I think you're right and things have gotten more civil. There will always be a few bad actors and not only on the pitch. :lol:

59 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Didn't I hear recently about English fans (hooligans) singing some song about 10 bombers or whatever it was?

But I think you're right and things have gotten more civil. There will always be a few bad actors and not only on the pitch. :lol:

Yes, sadly we still have some backward people who sing such songs (I know the one you mention), but I think they have become less relevant. 

Well, now that we don't have to root, root, root for the home team, we can enjoy soccer for its own sake. :) 

Sorry, English fans. But congratulations on the win.

16 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Group of Death: France, Portugal and...Germany - all eliminated!

That's why it's called the group of death :lol:

Doubtless the Polizei are glad they do not have the awful dilemma of either stopping Auto-Korsi or spoiling peoples fun.

Perhaps they shall be glad to have a bit more time off.

Just been chatting with Shorty about the footie.

We have both decided to let the English half of us hang out for a few days now that England have won!

Might even decorate the car tomorrow!!!

The English crowd  were even booing and whistling through the German national anthem. Pathetic.

That was an unexpected result. 

12 minutes ago, Feierabend said:

The English crowd  were even booing and whistling through the German national anthem. Pathetic.

Losers grabbing other people's glory as their own. 

11 hours ago, optimista said:

I refuse to persist in in acquiring a taste for watching boys chase balls.

Maybe you've just been watching the wrong boys.  Or the wrong balls.  I like basketball for its fast pace and the thrill of goals constantly being made.  Rugby, just for the boys.  Oh my.

17 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Maybe you've just been watching the wrong boys.  Or the wrong balls.  I like basketball for its fast pace and the thrill of goals constantly being made.  Rugby, just for the boys.  Oh my.

Basketball, the world's most tedious sport.  Winning games by 85 to 79 devalues the relative celebration of each point.  

Still, good we don't all think the same. 

3 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

Winning games by 85 to 79

see, that's your problem.  Naturally European basketball is boring as fuck.  Watch a few NBA games and get back to me ;) 

1 minute ago, dessa_dangerous said:

see, that's your problem.  Naturally European basketball is boring as fuck.  Watch a few NBA games and get back to me ;) 

Can't see what diifference it makes whetehr you're playing in Europe, the US or Afghanastan. When the points are going in one a minute, each one doesn't mean alot.  Its obviously much easier to score a basket than to score a goal. 

8 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

Can't see what diifference it makes whetehr you're playing in Europe, the US or Afghanastan. 

the reason I know you don't watch NBA is by the score.  85-79 is a score in a high school basketball game, where the skill level is comparably low.  Better players = higher scores.  A good NBA final score is more like 114-120.

9 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

Basketball, the world's most tedious sport.  Winning games by 85 to 79 devalues the relative celebration of each point.  

Still, good we don't all think the same. 

You've obviously never watched cricket. The NHS prescribe watching it to cure insomnia.

4 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Thanks Dessa, I watched 3 minutes and you've just made my point for me.  

But hey, its good that some people can watch it, it keeps people in work.