Euro 2020 and 2021

368 posts in this topic

Hey Fruity,

If you're not busy for a few hours, maybe you could explain the rules of American Football. :wacko:

You could start with the simplest one and work your way up.   When I lived in Canada, my employer gave me and a German coworker tickets to a game.  We had no idea what was going on.  Ok, now they throw a white towel again and then they stand around for a bit.  Ok, here are the girls with the pom poms.  It would have been very useful to have a tour guide.

In 2000 I went to Nashville to "enjoy" a party celebrating Superbowl XXXIV.  I have seldom been as bored.  It seemed to me that a match lasts for hours (and hours and hours) and is an iteration of six seconds of action followed by an AGM.  The experience strengthened my resolve to only using the word football when discussing Association Football, which is a game played with foot and ball (there's a clue is in the name).  American Football is essentially a game played with hand and ball.  The obvious name for games of this sort has already been taken! 

I read an article years ago in the WSJ that stated there are only about 10 min. of live action in an NFL game. The rest is regrouping and of course commercials. I still like it though I don't watch it much. I prefer the college level. Grew up on it. 

I don't care much for NFL football, though I follow the Cal Bears on the college level. But if you have a bunch of ironing to do. American football is the best ever. Iron iron iron, the crowd yells, you look up and catch the replay, iron iron iron. Repeat.

12 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Iron? Who irons? I haven't ironed anything since Himself retired 6 yrs. ago.

Careful, you'll be accused of misandry and bullying.

By the usual bullying finger- pointing morally superior hypocrits, hoops.

Back to Euro 2020- so Portugal out now. That is a shame and last I looked Spain are heading through but I've just had a nap so dunno, to be honest😒. 

Edit:

Wow, what a stupid nap!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/50941426

Croatia shoved Germany out of the knock-out round in the1998 World Cup, 3 - 0. They're always a potential threat. I was kind of sorry to see them leave, after today's game. Spain had to work hard for their win.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

It's a quirk. :D 

The Swiss miss a huge opportunity to take a 2-0 lead by missing a penalty, then 3 minutes later it's 1-2 for the Frenchies. Crazy game again in Euro2020. 

Unbelievable how many penalties are missed this tournament.

Wow, Switzerland-France actually beat Croatia-Spain in terms of drama. 14 goals in total. What a night!!

7 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

The Swiss miss a huge opportunity to take a 2-0 lead by missing a penalty, then 3 minutes later it's 1-2 for the Frenchies. Crazy game again in Euro2020. 

Unbelievable how many penalties are missed this tournament.

😂

Your final sentence! You ain't seen nothing yet!😂😩

Wait till England/ Germany tonight... I have a horrible feeling it will be a bore draw and then a shoot out without the excitement/goals of yesterday evening. I really hope I'm wrong!!

1 hour ago, john g. said:

Wait till England/ Germany tonight... I have a horrible feeling it will be a bore draw and then a shoot out without the excitement/goals of yesterday evening. I really hope I'm wrong!!

Yep 0-0 with England missing a couple of good chances then losing on penalties.

We´re just hoping the boss has gone so we can put it up on the screens.

13 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I don't iron or own anything that needs ironing.

If you ever let me do your ironing, you would also eventually get to the point where you own nothing that needs ironing :lol:

I think the winner of tonight's game cold make it to the final, not on ability, just on the how the draw went.

13 hours ago, fraufruit said:

With kurzarbeit and working from home, I've not been doing any lately but when I'm on a project, I need to iron my shirts.  I even take the iron with me on the road.