Euro 2020 and 2021

368 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, john g. said:

Starting to make even more sense now! Spain are 5 nil up!馃槀

The Sweden - Poland game was much more exciting.聽 Sweden got to 2:0.聽 Poland tied shortly before the end and it could have gone either way but Sweden ended up winning.

Because of this scheme, Holland plays against Czech Republic in Achtelfinale (better word than 2nd round). Makes sense :).

image.png

Yeah, Marco van Basten is an analyst at the Euro2020 on Dutch telly,聽but he has no clue. He just said: let's wait and see who is the next opponent. In his days you just had 8 countries participating: so after the group phase, you had semi-finals :).

Oh, Luke! In those good old days, it was easy! It was 11 against 11 and Germany won!

4 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Yeah, Marco van Basten is an analyst at the Euro2020 on Dutch telly,聽but he has no clue. He just said: let's wait and see who is the next opponent. In his days you just had 8 countries participating: so after the group phase, you had semi-finals :).

It's taken years but they have finally manged to make tactical play (to try to meet the easy team in the next round) hard as no one can figure out who will play who聽:lol:

Yeah, cb! Spread sheets or whatever!聽

Sigh, when I was growing up - there weren't even substitutes! Player broke a leg?

Tough- you were down to ten men!

I swear this is a reason Southend United never got to the old First Division!馃槀馃槱

Those were the OTHER good old days, Luke!馃槀

1988? My God! Long time ago! Our daughter was born that year! In the good old days when you could smoke outside the maternity ward ( separate room!) and feel worried but yet didn't really know how long you would have to wait or if you had time for a second ciggie!

Ex- chain smoker here.

Jeez. Hungary one up against Germany. I might have immigration problems on Sunday when I arrive in Hamburg! If the cops are waiting!馃槀

And they will. " Aufenthaltstitel schon erledigt?"

馃槀

ie if the wrong guy is in a bad mood and a footie fan and if Germany lose..

Germany is out of the聽tournament at the moment. This is why they call it the group of death. The heavy rain is also not helping.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Germany is out of the聽tournament at the moment. This is why they call it the group of death. The heavy rain is also not helping.

And now they are back in and playing against England

Lucky escape for England - they won't have to face Hungary in the next match!

It was certainly the best Hungary the world has ever seen, but...

... it's unbelievable that Germany depended on a kid (Musiala),聽that entered the pitch for the last ten minutes of the game, and finally someone could drible an adversary聽and pass the ball.

The only one looking strong is Italy!

3 minutes ago, gdc said:

It was certainly the best Hungary the world has ever seen, but...

No, my young Padawan. That was in 1954 with legendary Puskas.

4 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

No, my young Padawan. That was in 1954 with legendary Puskas.

"... the world has ever seen since 1954, but..."

It is a strong team, it was unbelievable how every time they attacked Germany a sense of danger was in the air; that certainly doesn't portray Germany's defense very well, nonetheless it was Hungary's effort that produced that sense.

1 hour ago, gdc said:

... it's unbelievable that Germany depended on a kid (Musiala),

He was a much needed improvement. As I mentioned on a different thread, it's a pity he's not playing for England, as he did in the youth set-ups. Apparently, no-one from the FA has been in touch for a year. When he scored for Bayern earlier this year he聽was the youngest English scorer of a Champion's League goal...now he's listed as being the youngest German to do that!

Any of you watch the match with Germans (born and raised Germans, not us Brexity-Dual-Nationals)? I tried my best to sound neutral, even vaguely positive,聽but failed again. I couldn't help but shout for joy when Hungary went 2:1 up, and again in聽despair at the equaliser.聽

Even for the Germans, I've noticed聽a significant level of arrogance about the forthcoming game with England. My kids are upset with how it's panned out. I just hope that this time...

I was just in the Kaufhalle, I saw the newspaper headlines:

'Puh!'

'Durch. Und keiner weiss warum'.

I wonder if Mr Tebbits cricket test could be applied. Do those of us with dual citizenship support Germany, England, both, neither?

On 6/19/2021, 1:06:55, Keleth said:

Reminded me a lot of the Eng vs Sco games you would get in the 70s and 80s.Lots of passion from the Scots but no real ideas as such and England with less passion and not enough balls to attack in case they concede.

Some of the games were entertaining but I remember Scotland just started to do badly game after game.聽

The big question is, which team are the non english brits shouting for next Tuesday?聽