Euro 2020 and 2021

368 posts in this topic

On 6/19/2021, 1:06:55, Keleth said:

Reminded me a lot of the Eng vs Sco games you would get in the 70s and 80s.Lots of passion from the Scots but no real ideas as such and England with less passion and not enough balls to attack in case they concede.

But the Scots didn't take the goal posts with them this time... :ph34r:

1 hour ago, cb6dba said:

But the Scots didn't take the goal posts with them this time..

If the fans were as useless as the players (on both sides), even if they tried, they'd have probably dropped the d@mn things. With the exception of the performances from the surprisingly passionate England team at the last World Cup, the drivel served up against Scotland was par for the course from pretty much any England tournament of the last 30 or 40 years.

A fair bit of my Saturday evening was spent having to agree with son 2 that "yes, German are playing a lot better than managed yesterday".

Still, hope springs eternal, and mine is for Southgate to notice that in Sancho he has a player who can score himself and more importantly regularly assists an old fashioned striker to score lots of goals at club (and Champions League) level.  

Saturday was fucking awful. We are not gonna win with that team. England have tomorrow to drastically change my mind, but in any case, I am not looking forward to our remaining games, however many that be. I hope we finish second in the group. If we have to face Germany in the next round I will lock myself alone in my room. Fingers crossed the Scots can get through. It's great for Wales.

3 hours ago, cb6dba said:

But the Scots didn't take the goal posts with them this time... :ph34r:

I think Balticus has moved them too many times and too far away for them to find them.

9 hours ago, Keleth said:

Shame for Scotland.

If it means people in close contact with him have to isolate then the England team will be alright as they couldn´t get near him on Friday.

Funny comment! But!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57560206

Might be time to get some Southend United players involved!😊

...as England and Czech are already both qualified, Mount's absence won't make such a difference (I understand they have both tested negative too). Perhaps now Southgate can finally jig about with the midfield/attack...Sancho time?

Denmark were pretty impressive last night, and Belgium ground out that sort of dull, low-key win that is often the sign of a team going to go a long way in the tournament. 

Still no Sancho (other than the last 10mins). But Saka and Grealish were a revelation. That first half was actually...good. Second half returned to normal though. Fuck, I just hope we don't get Germany in the next round. I don't mind going out to Portugal or France, but not Germany. Please not Germany.

16 hours ago, dstanners said:

Sancho time?

Why does there always have to be outrage that a particular player is not picked.

First it was outrage that Grealish wasn´t picked.

He played yesterday and the outrage was that Foden was dropped.

Next time if Foden plays it´ll be Sancho outrage.

The media always has to find a player they´re outraged when they don´t play and when they do play they then switch the outrage to another non player.

11 minutes ago, theGman said:

But Saka and Grealish were a revelation

Saka was best player on the pitch by a long way.

Seems to be Southgates ideal player too as he´s an excellent attacker but is always getting back to help out in defence.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

Saka was best player on the pitch by a long way.

As I don't watch that much Premiership football over here, I have to admit that I didn't know what to expect from Saka. I thought he was excellent, and a real breath of fresh air. 

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

Why does there always have to be outrage that a particular player is not picked.

Hmm, I'm not sure saying "Sancho time?" is really outrage! I think he's a good attacking midfielder who knows how to link up with an out-and-out striker: as such, he seems the obvious to try to a) get a bit of life in the attack (that was before I knew Saka would do the same), and b ) get the best out of Kane. 

2 hours ago, theGman said:

Second half returned to normal though.

Yeah, it was almost as if they'd asked Frank Lampard (or any of the other England ne'er do wells from that awful South Africa World Cup) to give the team a half-time pep talk on how playing for England really isn't that important.

It improved with the arrival of Bellingham, to inject a bit of pace.

8 hours ago, dstanners said:

Hmm, I'm not sure saying "Sancho time?" is really outrage! 

It's not. 

It's how you say it and what else you say with it. 

I think he should have played but if he doesn't it's not the end of the world and it doesn't make Southgate an idiot that needs sacking 

Keleth! Settle down! England quite simply need to call up some Southend United players and even the odd Gillingham player. It's not rocket science!

10 hours ago, john_b said:

Starting to make even more sense now! Spain are 5 nil up!😂