Euro 2020 and 2021

368 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MUinEU said:

Ingrained football rivalry is hard to shake. I am not sure if it's a Brit thing but can't say I've seen it amoung supporters of other countries.

Apparently, you don't know any Dutch fans 👻.

So what about that idiot from Greenpeace who wanted to save the world and got some people injured?

Talk about an own goal in football parlance!

When was it? 1986 or so? The French wanting to nuke the South Pacific? And that Greenpeace boat? And we loved it! Yeh! And I became a Greenpeace member and subscribed -as we say these days.

Now? A joke.  

A totally selfish gesture. Breaking all safety rules/ laws.  I bet 50 per cent of members are incensed and the other 50 per cent are like " cool, babe! "

We shall see.

Glad the French footie manager wasn't accidentally left without his head. 

17 hours ago, john g. said:

So what about that idiot from Greenpeace who wanted to save the world and got some people injured?

A totally selfish gesture. Breaking all safety rules/ laws.

Hopefully the "book" will be thrown at him.  If this guy is supposed to be a "Chirug" I would warn anyone of going near his knives...

Since German officialdom is convinced that private pilots (this guy is not classed as such**) are the main terrorist risk in Germany (despite no terror attack being launched from private aircraft & a number from trucks) there is a fear that this could be used as an excuse to further tighten the screws on private pilots.

Germany tried to convince the other EU countries of the percieved risk but the rest just laughed.  Unfortunately Germany has not given up here yet.

** Such "things" are flown by "Luftsportgeräteführer".

On 16/06/2021, 15:08:20, gdc said:

Germany urgently needs to rejuvenate Rudi Völler!

I'm not sure falling over would have helped Germany the other night, but they are lacking a quality goalscorer. Okay, it's not like when Carston Janker was playing up front for them, but there is probably no team in existence that would take Gnarlby over Mbappe.

It's worrying for the rest of the countries in the competition that France can sleepwalk through a game against Germany, not only win, but look very dangerous on the rare occasions that they went forward. With the likes of Griezmann and Pogba being able to supply him or put the ball in areas where he can win a race against almost any defender, Mbappe is a danger at all times. 

Fortunately ( with hindsight ) I missed the England v Scotland game yesterday. I went up to the taverna where they usually have the telly on but last night a Cretan folk band were playing outside in the street. Telly was off.

Slightly off track, but here is a remarkable story about the first black player to play international football, for Scotland, and his part in a trouncing of England!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-57520338

1 hour ago, john g. said:

Fortunately ( with hindsight ) I missed the England v Scotland game yesterday. I went up to the taverna where they usually have the telly on but last night a Cretan folk band were playing outside in the street. Telly was off.

Slightly off track, but here is a remarkable story about the first black player to play international football, for Scotland, and his part in a trouncing of England!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-57520338

You didn't miss much. 

It was ok to keep on in the background. 

Nah, not a great game. 

16 hours ago, Mackle said:

It's worrying for the rest of the countries in the competition that France can sleepwalk through a game against Germany,

This was a Germany that looked old in body and ideas.

Croatia also lack a goalscorer but at least they still manage to create the chances whereas Germany just seem so devoid of ideas.I think Löw knows this and is getting out while the going is good.

Germany haven`t really had a proper centre forward since Klose and no matter how good Werner ends up he is not a centre forward in that sense (seemingly proved at Chelsea).

59 minutes ago, MUinEU said:

You didn't miss much. 

It was ok to keep on in the background. 

Nah, not a great game. 

Reminded me a lot of the Eng vs Sco games you would get in the 70s and 80s.Lots of passion from the Scots but no real ideas as such and England with less passion and not enough balls to attack in case they concede.

Well so much for France being the all conquering team.

And Portugal seem to be Germanys best attacking option.

I seem to be good at " own goals " on certain threads, Keleth. Portugal have been more successful than me - two own goals.😂

1 hour ago, john g. said:

Well done, Wales!👍

Your magnificent national anthem will be heard again!

Hmm, I have to listen the next time I hear it. Unlike many other national anthems, I don't know theirs, probably because they never win anything :).

It is something else, Luke! Very moving. Not that I understand a word but jeez😖 .. moving

31 minutes ago, john g. said:

It is something else, Luke! Very moving. Not that I understand a word but jeez😖 .. moving

I learnt to sing it in school during my childhood in Wales the land of the song. Here's some interesting information: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hen_Wlad_Fy_Nhadau

In 1905, "Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau" became the first national anthem to be sung at the start of a sporting event.[5][6] Although crowds singing anthems during matches was commonplace, there was no precedent for the anthem to be sung before a game commenced in any sport.[n 1] The Welsh national rugby team were playing host to the first touring New Zealand team, who to that point were unbeaten. After Wales won the Triple Crown in the 1905 Home Nations Championship the match was dubbed the 'Game of the Century' by the press. The New Zealand team started every match with the Haka, and Welsh Rugby Union administrator Tom Williams, suggested that Wales player Teddy Morgan lead the crowd in the singing of the anthem as a response. After Morgan began singing, the crowd joined in,[8] and Wales became the first nation to sing a national anthem at the start of a sporting event.[9]

Anyone can please explain this to me...

Yesterday during Italy Wales, with Italy already secured 1st position in the group, coach Mancini replaced keeper, Sirigu for Donnarumma, at the 89th min.

What's the reason for such a ridiculous change, ONE minute before game end?

9 hours ago, bramble said:

Wales became the first nation to sing a national anthem at the start of a sporting event.

Another reason to love the Welsh.

3 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

Anyone can please explain this to me...

Yesterday during Italy Wales, with Italy already secured 1st position in the group, coach Mancini replaced keeper, Sirigu for Donnarumma, at the 89th min.

What's the reason for such a ridiculous change, ONE minute before game end?

Because Roberto Mancini only ever played in 1 tournament for Italy (Italia 90) but never actually got a minute on the pitch and he says that is his biggest regret of his whole playing career.

So he wants all his players at this tournament to get an appearance and after yesterday the 3rd choice goalkeeper is the only Italian player not to have made an appearance in this tournament.