Euro 2020 and 2021

368 posts in this topic

Here's and interesting take on this racism kerfuffle. 

Who is behind the online abuse of black England players and how can we stop it?  (New Statesman, 13.07.21)

Sanjay Bhandari, chair of Kick It Out, the campaign group against racism in football, says that data from the last two seasons of football shows around 70 per cent of abuse originates overseas. “These are not football fans,” he says. “They are people who have never been inside an English football ground.” In part that’s because – while our problem with racism is acute – we don’t have a monopoly on being morons.

Italian and French football fans are as likely, if not more likely, to abuse black players with monkey emojis.

Some suggest that Russian or Chinese trolls may have weaponised discontent around football to intensify political and social tensions in England. “It will be totally unsurprising if trolls started sharing bad stuff for these players, given that their goal is to sow public discord, and this is an excellent opportunity to do so,” says Savvas Zannettou of the Max Planck Institute for Informatics in Germany, who studies information warfare online.

But to date there is little evidence of what social media platforms call coordinated, inauthentic behaviour.

And today the BBC were reporting:

UK public at risk from hostile state threats - MI5  (BBC, 13.07.21)

The head of MI5 is to urge the public to be as vigilant about threats from "hostile states" as from terrorism.

These include disruptive cyber-attacks, misinformation, espionage and interference in politics - and are usually linked to Russia and China. In a speech on Wednesday, Ken McCallum will say these "less visible threats... have the potential to affect us all".

He will say these threats are affecting UK jobs and public services and could even lead to a loss of life.

The head of the Security Service wants to challenge the idea that activity by so-called "hostile states", usually taken to mean primarily Russia and China, only affects governments or certain institutions.

Instead, he will argue, in an annual threat update, that the British public are not immune to the "tentacles" of covert action by other states.

Maybe it was the Russians! 

;) 

More here;

I think that had all the penalty takers been white and also missed, they too would have been abused by the mob.

When Beckham was sent off against Argentina in the 1998 World Cup, he and his family received death threats.

I question Southgate's tactics of bringing on such young players at such a crucial time in the match.

Pretty much their first kick of the ball was to take the penalty. No pressure then.

Having said that, Southgate and his squad remained dignified, and can hopefully build for the future.

8 hours ago, hooperski said:

More here;

I think that had all the penalty takers been white and also missed, they too would have been abused by the mob.

When Beckham was sent off against Argentina in the 1998 World Cup, he and his family received death threats.

I question Southgate's tactics of bringing on such young players at such a crucial time in the match.

Pretty much their first kick of the ball was to take the penalty. No pressure then.

Having said that, Southgate and his squad remained dignified, and can hopefully build for the future.

1 min about the racism message then the rest of it is just another fucking conspiracy video,and to cap it all of it´s a right wing conspiracy video.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57855251

Win, babe. You have nothing to be ashamed of. The haters with their instant press button are losers.

I envy your talent. In a positive way. I wanted to play for England but my useless NHS glasses got in the way of a glorious headed goal!👍

That's a friendly letter. Probably by a cheapskate who sent it second class!

Wasn't there once a court case  by someone on the Isle of Wight  who refused to pay poll tax because he had got a letter from the Government sent by second class postage?... " I am not a second class citizen."

And the citizen won. I am pretty sure I am right about this but don't know how to find out if my memory is right!

23 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

When I read that, I instantly though of @Keleth.

Any chance of a handwriting sample, mate? 

:lol:

My first thought. Probably a male and one I am pleased not to know. After two pints.. jeez. " Hey, you fucker.. who you looking at?"

That type...