Euro 2020 and 2021

368 posts in this topic

In the good old days the captain, ie. Kane, took the responsibility of the 5th penalty, now a 19-year-old.

Moreover, Rashford and Sancho were not even warmed up, not in the match. 

Now we can all sit back and wait for the aftermath. Great timing with Freedom Day coming on the 19th. I watched the whole game and only saw one young girl wearing a mask.

The final at London’s Wembley Stadium was one of several “pilot events” to test the safety of mass gatherings ahead of what Johnson is calling “Freedom Day,” or July 19, when people in the U.K. can choose whether or not they want to continue wearing masks indoors. Johnson says vaccinations have “severed” the link between cases and deaths, but a coalition of more than 100 scientists said his strategy of “mass infection” is dangerous and unprecedented. Test from stadium events indicate that they may be safe, with only 8 out of 30,000 spectators testing positive after attending test events in June, but the results are only based on the measly 15 percent of attendees who returned their PCR tests.

article

2 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

In the good old days the captain, ie. Kane, took the responsibility of the 5th penalty, now a 19-year-old

But he´s the penalty taker normally and they always take the first one.

2 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Moreover, Rashford and Sancho were not even warmed up, not in the match.

This sort of thing is done a lot and sometimes it work sometimes it doesn´t.

Better to have someone who is not warmed up but can take a penalty take it than someone who has been playing but can´t take penalties.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Great timing with Freedom Day coming on the 19th

Going to be making an announcement today,has he once again promised the Earth and delivered nothing ?

Disappointed, but on balance Italy deserved it. Close game though. 

I've read a couple of articles critical of Southgate for not putting more attacking players on, but overall, he set up the team the way he wanted for the whole tournament, and there no shame in losing a final to Italy (who had already knocked out Spain and Belgium). 

I wonder if there'll be less England bashing now we didn't win? 

One thing I'd like to see consigned to England's footballing history from last night's game is the bl00dy stuttering penalty kick run-up. It seems to unsettle the kicker almost as much as the keeper. I'm always surprised more players don't focus on emulating Le Tissier instead (off the top of my head, I can only think of James Beattie who has copied his technique, and had a similar success rate). He always did the same thing, and scored all but one of his roughly 50 penalties.  

13 minutes ago, dstanners said:

Disappointed, but on balance Italy deserved it. Close game though. 

I've read a couple of articles critical of Southgate for not putting more attacking players on, but overall, he set up the team the way he wanted for the whole tournament, and there no shame in losing a final to Italy (who had already knocked out Spain and Belgium). 

He went with Trippier instead of Saka, which was a huge call.

Also not sure why Mount stayed on as long as he did.

It was a great  ⚽️ tournament.    Bring on the Olympics!    

It is a great pity that we did not win but it was a good and fair match. Gareth Southgate has publicly declared that he made all the decisions be they good or bad.

The players can hold their heads up high, they got further than France, Germany, Netherlands and Portugal to name but a few. To be second best in Europe is also something to be proud of.   

Southgate has come in for alot of criticism over the choice of penalty takers.  However, Rashford and Sancho have maybe the cleanest kicking techniques in the squad. I thought bringing them on was a smart move. Talking with hindsight is easy. 

Overall, Italy just about deserved it. At least it will stop Boris trying to take credit as his victory.   

8 hours ago, Keleth said:

A just about deserved win for Italy,shame it went to penalties though.As soon as they pulled it back to 1-1 I sort of knew they would win.

I´m sorry I still find it incredible that someone gets upset about fans booing the opposition.Booing the anthem is out of order but jesus thinking it is impolite to boo the opposition shows that you´ve absolutely no idea about any sort of professional sport.

You will also notice that when the fans start booing the opposition it is usually because the opposition are  starting to get the upper hand.

As to England being the worst fans I don´t think that is actually true nowadays (70´s and 80´s definitely so).Serbia,Russia,Holland,Turkey,Argentina and yes even Italy and more would argue with your point there.Many of the worst fans tend not to surface at international games but more at club games when travelling abroad and many East European teams are known and have been often fined for constant racial abuse of opposition and even their own players.But hey whats a bit of racism compared to booing yer.

Booing is just the most noticeable part when you watch the game on tv. That and lasering the Danish goalie. I haven’t seen these behaviours in the other games without England. That a casual TV football watcher like me could notice it shows how outrageous these behaviours are.
Not to mention the display of abusive behaviours on the internet. Bullying a crying little girl, racism against their own players…England doesn’t deserve to win any major tournament until their fans change their behaviours and start showing sportsmanship. A shame though, as they have amazingly talented players and their national trainer is pure class. Well, let’s hope that the better English fans will overtake the worse ones in the next major tournament. 

I thought the ref had a really good game yesterday too. Whilst overall it didn't work to England's benefit (a few advantages were allowed, when England would have probably preferred free kicks), I thought he did a great job in keeping the game flowing: never an easy thing...particularly for games involving Italy.

22 minutes ago, desdemona said:

Well, let’s hope that the better English fans will overtake the worse ones in the next major tournament. 

Fans like these:

E63F9F13-51E6-4AC7-B9B6-D44AF785DE51.png

18 minutes ago, desdemona said:

Booing is just the most noticeable part when you watch the game on tv. That and lasering the Danish goalie. I haven’t seen these behaviours in the other games without England. That a casual TV football watcher like me could notice it shows how outrageous these behaviours are.
Not to mention the display of abusive behaviours on the internet. Bullying a crying little girl, racism against their own players…England doesn’t deserve to win any major tournament until their fans change their behaviours and start showing sportsmanship. A shame though, as they have amazingly talented players and their national trainer is pure class. Well, let’s hope that the better English fans will overtake the worse ones in the next major tournament. 

I too found the constant booing by England fans irritating. I don't mind if there is a reason, such as a dirty tackle or attempt at cheating, but it seemed to happen for no reason. 

I know similar can happen at club level, and having watched West Brom play Villa or Wolves on many occasions, there is certainly no love lost for opposition fans or players . However, at such a high profile match at international level as yesterday, I think there is more at stake. Everything has a more political character. The country's reputation is in effect under scrutiny, given that the game was screened out to millions, even if it is just a sporting event. That will register with alot of football and non-football fans alike. 

Interestingly, I noticed during the tournament several German commantators referring to English 'fair play'. ie the english term 'fair play' is used in the German language. For how long I wonder. 

1 hour ago, alexunterwegs said:

I too found the constant booing by England fans irritating. I don't mind if there is a reason, such as a dirty tackle or attempt at cheating, but it seemed to happen for no reason. 

I know similar can happen at club level, and having watched West Brom play Villa or Wolves on many occasions, there is certainly no love lost for opposition fans or players . However, at such a high profile match at international level as yesterday, I think there is more at stake. Everything has a more political character. The country's reputation is in effect under scrutiny, given that the game was screened out to millions, even if it is just a sporting event. That will register with alot of football and non-football fans alike. 

Interestingly, I noticed during the tournament several German commantators referring to English 'fair play'. ie the english term 'fair play' is used in the German language. For how long I wonder. 

Guessing that the booing was from a minority of xenophobic racists. Shame though.

Krieg's post above makes me ashamed to be British, although I know this isn't just a British disease.

Hope the thugs can be identified and charged.

23 minutes ago, hooperski said:

Krieg's post above makes me ashamed to be British, although I know this isn't just a British disease.

What utter scum. Fingers crossed they manage to identify them.

21 minutes ago, hooperski said:

Guessing that the booing was from a minority of xenophobic racists. Shame though.

Really low grade idiots. They look adult enough to have acquired a few IQ brain cells, but it seems not. 

They need to be identified and charged.  

Identified, charged, court and ,if guilty , solitary confinement. In that order. And I'm a liberal person but there are limits. 

People like that are scum. 

But please remember this is not exclusively an English disease. Italy has some of the most violent football fans around. Lazio, for example. 

And more:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/10242296/italian-football-ultras-knives-grenades-hooligans-gangsters/

All such people are totally unacceptable.

Interesting:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1035747-20-most-thuggish-fan-bases-in-world-football

And you'll find a lot of the thugs, eg in Russia ,  " idolise " the English thugs of the 70s and 80s and want to " out tough " them.

12 hours ago, Keleth said:

A just about deserved win for Italy,shame it went to penalties though.As soon as they pulled it back to 1-1 I sort of knew they would win.

I´m sorry I still find it incredible that someone gets upset about fans booing the opposition.Booing the anthem is out of order but jesus thinking it is impolite to boo the opposition shows that you´ve absolutely no idea about any sort of professional sport.

You will also notice that when the fans start booing the opposition it is usually because the opposition are  starting to get the upper hand.

As to England being the worst fans I don´t think that is actually true nowadays (70´s and 80´s definitely so).Serbia,Russia,Holland,Turkey,Argentina and yes even Italy and more would argue with your point there.Many of the worst fans tend not to surface at international games but more at club games when travelling abroad and many East European teams are known and have been often fined for constant racial abuse of opposition and even their own players.But hey whats a bit of racism compared to booing yer.

I couldn't agree more with this post! One point- very few countries traditionally have thousands of their fans travelling to other countries like England fans do for any old match. Euros and World Cups ok.