Euro 2020 and 2021

368 posts in this topic

Yeah, Keleth. That is some nationalistic rag which I peer into sometimes. But I can take the joke and am not offended. 

Many older Scottish football fans remember 1967 and beating the then world champions. It is footie folklore. 

Scottish fans now could support England and then remember in 50 years time that they were the only team not to lose to England in Euro 2020!

A positive!!😂

Less positive - neo-Nazi Italian footie fans in Glasgow a couple of years ago.

I trust the National rag feels affinity.

30 minutes ago, john g. said:

Bloody hell, Chelski! That is some power! Some energy!👍

Some vibes! Wow!

My rock god calls it the finest LIVE album ever recorded.

This is an edited version of the gig.

There is a full gig on YouTube but it's mislabelled. I'll find it.

Meanwhile enjoy the easy listening Ramones.

And maybe go for a whirl with your cretan girl. ;)

22 minutes ago, john g. said:

But I can take the joke and am not offended

Me as well but imagine if that was an English paper with that sort of front page about the Scottish.

There would be an outcry.

The problem I have with it is it does show real bitterness.I can´t remember seeing anything like that when Germany etc play someone and England are not involved at all.

I'm in trouble now, Chelski! My girl is German!❤️😂👍

The best- looking non- 21 year old on this planet!❤️

18 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Me as well but imagine if that was an English paper with that sort of front page about the Scottish.

Cry us a river! I like irony. My favourite example- a friend of mine is English and very.. but his parents were Irish. My favourite quote from him: " isn't it terrible what we English have done to us Irish?"

I love that level of humour and irony!❤️

Edit: old news now but split on England v Scotland:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-57504032

There was a similar story about Italians in England today but buggered if I can find it!

Edit:

I've just buggered myself!😂

Something like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/09/london-little-italy-clerkenwell-neighbourhood-torn-over-euro-2020-final-england

Hi all,

Any recommendations for a place to watch the final in Berlin tomorrow? Outside, with beer and a good atmosphere – suggestions very welcome.

Cheers,

Richard

45 minutes ago, Keleth said:

The problem I have with it is it does show real bitterness.I can´t remember seeing anything like that when Germany etc play someone and England are not involved at all.

Edit: real bitterness. REAL bitterness, banter aside, is often based on an inferiority complex and a loser mentality. Blame somebody else for your failings. Somebody else is to blame for your failings. It was 't YOU that couldn't be bothered to get up in the morning to get THAT job etc or do further studies to improve yourself. Somebody else failed to get up in the morning etc.

Those are the rules of life..ok, there are nuances!😂

Anyway, I hope England win tomorrow. I am of that 1966 generation but don't harp on about it. ( Yes, I have many old German footie friends - and YES - they do harp on about THAT Geoff Hurst goal. They DO)...

Anyway , the Boss has spoken!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57789451

46 minutes ago, john g. said:

I've just buggered myself!😂

I always thought that was physically imposssible.

But fair play.

I've been around, Chelski!😂

Even my age - 69 - is mentioned in the kama sutra, I think! I was hoping to avoid the issue tonight ( noblesse oblige etc ) but I have failed miserably!!!

( checking the thread ): oh, hope England win a footie match tomorrow 69-0.

Just wanted to stay on topic!

I am just hoping for a decent match, with no obvious cheating by either side, no suspect ref decisions and no Neanderthal behaviour by fans.  And may the best team win. 

Why did English fans always boo the opponents when the ball was with them? That’s very annoying! And what’s up with English media, are they always so mean? Man there’s some nastiness going on in that island.

7 minutes ago, desdemona said:

Why did English fans always boo the opponents when the ball was with them?

I agree it's annoying, but it is absolutely not unique to England. Even in the other semi-final the Italians boo-ed whenever Spain had the ball. I'm hoping for an England win of course, but I reckon the fans would need a decent set of lungs if they are seriously going to boo all the time Italy has the ball tonight!

There has been an awful lot of anti-English sentiment in the media here and even on this site: yes the "En-ger-land" fans are a pain in the ar$e, but they really aren't the majority, and far from the only supporters to make derogatory and offensive chants. Likewise, Sterling "diving" after minimal contact in the penalty area: it has been a good 30 years since the days when British players didn't dive, and I can't think of any international team which doesn't have a good share of players who do exactly the same (or worse)...anyway, just a few more hours. Come on England. 

39 minutes ago, dstanners said:

Likewise, Sterling "diving" after minimal contact in the penalty area

He´s got someway to go to match the Italian forwards.

57 minutes ago, desdemona said:

Why did English fans always boo the opponents when the ball was with them? That’s very annoying! And what’s up with English media, are they always so mean? Man there’s some nastiness going on in that island.

Oh ffs someone else who thinks this is an "English thing".

7 hours ago, john g. said:

All the jokes going around during Euro 2020 about pineapple on pizza! So I thought I would investigate its origin. Oh, a Greek immigrant in Canada!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/z2vftrd

I've ordered pineapple on pizza in fully authentic Italian restauarants many a time.  Didn't realise there was some kind of tabu.