Euro 2020 and 2021

368 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I totally get the emotions, the excitement, the wins and the defeats. 

Bill Shankly said "some people think football is a matter of life or death,it´s not,it´s more important than that".

The rage,the passion the pure exhilaration from football supporters is not really possible to explain unless you´ve done it yourself.I followed the Gills home and away for nigh on 30 years and it was a passion handed down from my dad.The wife came with us a couple of times when we´d just met and she says she didn´t recognise me at the match.

Many football clubs are often tied incredibly deeply to the community and it was a sport for the common man and often the only escape people had.

All sanity and reason goes out of the window when you´re watching your team.

8 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

the continuing booing of German players when they had the ball, and of the German anthem,

Booing the anthem is a no no but booing the players nothing wrong with that.

6 hours ago, cb6dba said:

I have never understood why it's a thing to play germany.

Much of it is media generated but some of it is the ruthless efficiency of the German teams of the past and that they´ve often stopped England in their tracks.

Plus of course for some muppets (media as well) it´s to do with the war.

Ask a Scottish football fan why they hate England and you´ll find not a lot of it is to do with modern history.

6 hours ago, Keleth said:

The rage,the passion the pure exhilaration from football supporters is not really possible to explain unless you´ve done it yourself...

The wife... didn´t recognise me at the match.

All sanity and reason goes out of the window when you´re watching your team.

:wacko:

I think you just described some sort of regression to a tribal, primitive state where the human element in the brain flips to OFF and the amygdala roolz. Like on the battle field. I really wish some scientists would do some EEG tests on individuals in both scenarios.

On 03/07/2021, 19:09:52, Janx Spirit said:

Like that corner for Denmark ;) 

Analysis showed that it was indeed a corner for Denmark and Dutch referee Kuipers has been awarded the final on Wembley, so the Netherlands made it to the final after all 😊.

43 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Analysis showed that it was indeed a corner for Denmark and Dutch referee Kuipers has been awarded the final on Wembley, so the Netherlands made it to the final after all 😊.

You gotta link for that? I googled but all the results I found suggested it was a wrong decision.

It's looking good for us to make the final, at least we may finally get there. 

The amount of people sharing "it's coming home", it's only the EM, not the WM 😂

After the year we've all had it's nice for people to have something o cheer about at home (and here for us). It is just a huge shame this will give one very incompetent politicians a chance to divert attention away from themselves. 

On 30/06/2021, 18:02:49, alexunterwegs said:

When it comes to countries you are getting into politics, and even into sensitive areas such as race or religon. Given the particuar history of Britain and Germany, I would have thought that was very obvious. 

I seem to recall the Germany vs Poland game in Dortmund a few years ago when Germany hosted the World Cup felt very hostile, probably not helped by Polish politicians demanding more reparations in the build up to that match.  

On 01/07/2021, 07:43:51, optimista said:

:wacko:

I think you just described some sort of regression to a tribal, primitive state where the human element in the brain flips to OFF and the amygdala roolz. Like on the battle field. I really wish some scientists would do some EEG tests on individuals in both scenarios.

I used to be a season ticket holder at the Valley, and whilst I would sing along to the chants and cheer when Charlton scored a goal, I never regressed in to a tribal state but perhaps having an ASD helps prevent it. 

Wow, what a match. Italy won after penalties. Spain played 3 matches in a row in extension time: you can’t win them all. Forza Italia!

Brilliant!

A bit more:

"‘There are no words’: Former MEP blasts Spanish for not singing national anthem"

A tweet posted by Lord John Kilclooney was making the rounds on social media last night following Italy’s clash with Spain in the Euro2020 semi-final.

The former MEP, a Crossbench life peer from Northern Ireland who has sat in the House of Lords since 2001, posted that it was “amazing that every member of the Italian team sang its national anthem whereas every single member of the Spanish tram remained totally silent”.

But he failed to recognise that Marcha Real is one of only four national anthems in the world (along with those of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, and San Marino) that have no official lyrics.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/there-are-no-words-former-mep-blasts-spanish-for-not-singing-national-anthem-280209/

Was there not at one time an award for Upper Class Twit of the Year?

England did it. No penalty shootout since that would be traumatizing, but the best sign in the stadium came yesterday from an Italian fan:

9A474CEB-D069-4996-8281-0B2A1F427AD1.png

8 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

England did it.

Did what?

From what I saw, it looks like the Dutch referee did it.

Whoever is doing the camerawork is doing a great job of picking out familiar faces in the crowd - yesterday they zoomed in from a great distance on David Baddiel and Frank Skinner, enjoying the sound of their song being sung :D

On 7/7/2021, 11:40:48, silty1 said:

I SO much want Denmark to kick their asses tonight and shut up those English fans who so enthusiastically booed the German anthem. 

winner.JPG.a8f3ef24416ba1bc14856b664e90e

For me it should be first and foremost a sporting celebration. Nations coming together and doing their best, and may the best team win. Any unsporting behaviour by fans, such as booing of national anthems, and what we hear about a laser focussed on the Danish goalkeeper, are stains on that.  I still hear Germans talking about British fairplay. Is that going to become a thing of the past? Unfortunately for a minority its about my country right or wrong, where national chauvinism and bigotry are used to justify it.  I still trust that the majority of British are better than that. 

As for leaving Europe and winning sports events, I don't think we should be putting up any barriers to Europe, economic, cultural or sporting. Its our continent.