Euro 2020 and 2021

368 posts in this topic

So kids, it's been a long wait, but after a one year delay Euro 2020 finally gets under way tonight. We begin with what is surely a win for Italy (right?) against Turkey in Rome.

 

Germany kick off their campaign in the group of death against France on Tuesday in Munich.

 

England and Scotland (who are in the same group) kick off on Sunday against Croatia and on Monday against Czech Republic respectively. Both teams hoping to capitalise on having home advantage. England especially so; if they top their group and go all the way to the final then they would only have to play one game away from home.

 

Wales begin tomorrow against Switzerland.

 

Is it finally Belgium's year? Are France too good? Maybe England at last? Germany surely don't have a chance do they?

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting you mentioned many countries that historically are not particularly good at football, but you did not mention Portugal, which is the defending champion and apparently in very good shape.

 

Forza Italia !

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Group of Death is incredible. Hope Portugal do well in that. I would love England to finally win a tournament again! I watched the 1966 game with my brother on the telly all that time ago!😩😂

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, john g. said:

I would love England to finally win a tournament again!

 

I would expect Croatia to finish top of that group.  England and Scotland may well be a draw, so the Czech Republic games will be crucial, I think.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, john g. said:

That Group of Death is incredible. Hope Portugal do well in that.

It's not really a Group of Death since the best 4 3rd places also advance to the next stage. This is new, because too many countries participate.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First time ever with the round of 16th?!

 

There are just too many teams in Europe that should not pass the qualification rounds...

 

Imagine the 'quality' in the next world cup with 48 teams!

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, gdc said:

There are just too many teams in Europe that should not pass the qualification rounds...

 

Imagine the 'quality' in the next world cup with 48 teams!

 

There are ca 200 countries in the world. At the world cup the best 20% percentile will play. No bad.

Plus, football should reach out and broaden itself. I think it'd be great if in a few generations China and India become good at it and can challenge Europe and South America.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Gambatte said:

 

There are ca 200 countries in the world. At the world cup the best 20% percentile will play. No bad.

Plus, football should reach out and broaden itself. I think it'd be great if in a few generations China and India become good at it and can challenge Europe and South America.

 

 

 

That will never happen until football becomes the favorite sport in China or India and it doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon...

 

Within that 20% there are terrible teams, it's pointless to invite them to the last stage of the tournament which is the World Cup itself; the qualification stages are part of the tournament as well. Such a long World Cup and with so many games at the group stages with sufferable teams will only produce exhaustion in the players, already playing tight schedules around international football, and injuries can occur knocking out quality players that everyone could have enjoyed in the elimination knockout rounds, hence reducing the quality of the games we could see. The World Cup is a tournament already faced by many top teams as a survival marathon, in which you're obliged to play the toughest competition at your weakest physical condition in the final stages. Expecting that after you expand even more the number of teams playing the World Cup, the level of football you'll see is going to eventually get better is false.

 

It's naive to think that North Macedonia is going to get better because they beat Germany for the first time in history, producing Germany's first defeat in a qualifying stage in twenty years. It's impossible for North Macedonia to develop their sporting level at such height, expecting to beat the big teams in UEFA regularly; not only their league is semiprofessional, but its society/economy simply cannot reproduce the conditions needed to step up their sporting level to such highs, ever.

 

Accidents and epic brake throughs can happen from time to time, but I could affirm that there are only sixteen to eighteen teams in the world that can play football, properly play football that is, and we see them regularly every four years at the 16 knock out stages of the World Cup.

 

Sometimes you see a lot of different faces? Yes, it's hard to maintain such levels for small or unstable countries, but not seeing Italy for example, is an exception.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never get my predictions right!😂 Happy with the result! Watched the game about one foot from the telly for eyesight reasons together with my 82 year old friend Pete, also about one foot from the telly and in his wheelchair! 

Commentary lacked emotion but that's because it was on neutral soil - Greek TV!🤪

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have watching the French Open recently. So far , it has been better viewing than the Euros. Nadal v Jokovic was brilliant. None of the soccer games have been memorable thus far . But the French Open finishes today and so I will give more time to the soccer. Let us hope for some more adventurous play. England v Scotland will be a must.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually , Colin , my mate Pete ( above ) also had the tennis on on his computer at the same time, willing on the Greek lad. I think he won but not sure... I don't follow tennis! 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

England-Croatia started off well but the tempo dropped after about 20mins and never recovered. Very happy with the result though. England did what they had to do. They have never won the first game of an EM before. Just a shame that Croatia never really turned up.

 

Netherlands-Ukraine was a belter last night! Finally the tournament came alive.

 

Probably a good result for Wales on Saturday. Let's see how Scotland get on today. I am actually really looking forward to Germany-France tomorrow.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tears for Scottish fans with 0-2 against the Czech Republic this afternoon. Superb header and a once in a lifetime shot from 40-45 yards, brilliantly curved in, with the goalie in no- man's -land.

 

https://youtu.be/jlr7cBqXfs4

I can imagine England-Scotland being a more heated affair later this week...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, theGman said:

I am actually really looking forward to Germany-France tomorrow

Yeah, I was really looking forward to that game too, until I found out over the weekend that most of the 3rd placed teams in each group go through too. Rather takes the edge away from what otherwise looked a shocking group.

Happy with yesterday's result, although it's crazy that Sancho didn't even make the bench. I like England having low key wins, as it keeps expectations reasonable (including my own). It's just hard to imagine England having a much better chance to do well than they have at this tournament with both the possibility of home ties and a talented young team. 

I was hoping for a Scotland v. Cz draw, but can't say I was too sad to see Scotland lose. 

Any Germany supporters, or parents of Germany supporters? Whilst I was happy to support Germany during the ice hockey, I still find it hard to feel too much love for them in football tournaments. My kids manage to support both England and Germany equally. 

 

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dstanners said:

Yeah, I was really looking forward to that game too, until I found out over the weekend that most of the 3rd placed teams in each group go through too. Rather takes the edge away from what otherwise looked a shocking group.

Happy with yesterday's result, although it's crazy that Sancho didn't even make the bench. I like England having low key wins, as it keeps expectations reasonable (including my own). It's just hard to imagine England having a much better chance to do well than they have at this tournament with both the possibility of home ties and a talented young team. 

I was hoping for a Scotland v. Cz draw, but can't say I was too sad to see Scotland lose. 

Any Germany supporters, or parents of Germany supporters? Whilst I was happy to support Germany during the ice hockey, I still find it hard to feel too much love for them in football tournaments. My kids manage to support both England and Germany equally. 

 

I'm not sure whqat the deal with Sancho is. Southgate seems to have a plan which he has worked on for years and is somewhat sticking to it despite what the form sheet says, i.e. Stirling ahead of Grealish. But I think he is taking into account the opponent and how things are going on the training pitch. I trust him. Winning the group puts us in line to meet the group of death in the next round, so finishing second would be my preference. So a Czech win isn't bad in that sense. But of course, we should be playing to win anyhow.

 

It still annoys my friends here that, even now as a naturalised citizen, I do not support Germany in any way. As long as England are still in the tournament then I remain at best neutral, but once England are out I'm happy to see Germany going out too. 12 years of being "the English guy" every tournament, putting up with constant sly digs ("we're just joshing"). It's football, allegiances don't change.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, theGman said:

It still annoys my friends here that, even now as a naturalised citizen, I do not support Germany in any way. As long as England are still in the tournament then I remain at best neutral, but once England are out I'm happy to see Germany going out too. 12 years of being "the English guy" every tournament, putting up with constant sly digs ("we're just joshing"). It's football, allegiances don't change.

Ingrained football rivalry is hard to shake. 

I am not sure if it's a Brit thing but can't say I've seen it amoung supporters of other countries. 

 

I just cannot support France, Germany or Scotland. 

Best I can manage is being neutral when one of those three are playing unless there is an advantage for england if one of them wins. 

For some reason I can't fathom this doesn't apply to Wales. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now