Advice ragarding rights and benefits for a handicapped person

9 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, 

I have a bit of an unusual request regarding the rights and benefits of a friend of mine who is severely handicapped. He has a legal guardian but feels bit enough to live on his own. He would like to share an apartment with another friend (WG), and we are wondering what kind of benefits would he get from the state. As he is unable to work, he would need to benefit from therapy but would like to try an Ausbildung or even find some sort of work (he is fit enough for that) that would eventually get him on his feet. However, in the beginning he would be home, unemployed. 

I don't even know where to start when it comes to who to ask about this. Any ideas?

Thank you

Anna

Where is he living now? Does his legal guardian approve of this plan? Or will he first need to prove that he can make his own decision? Is he German?

Depending on his circumstances there are different places where he can apply for assistance. 

16 hours ago, engelchen said:

Where is he living now? Does his legal guardian approve of this plan? Or will he first need to prove that he can make his own decision? Is he German?

Depending on his circumstances there are different places where he can apply for assistance. 

He is living in a facility for handicapped persons. Yes, his legal guardian (his mother) does approve of his move. He is German. I want to know if he will get any income from the state if he moves on his own or with a roommate. In other words, for starters, will his mother;s income (she is a pensioner) get taken into consideration when calculating his benefits? Which organization or institution can I ask about this? We want to know for sure before he decides to look for an apartment.

Thank you

Any info would be much appreciated. 

24 minutes ago, Ana1984 said:

He is German. I want to know if he will get any income from the state if he moves on his own or with a roommate. In other words, for starters, will his mother;s income (she is a pensioner) get taken into consideration when calculating his benefits? Which organization or institution can I ask about this?

May be he might be eligible for Hartz4 with added benefit. 

https://www.hartz4.de/mehrbedarf-behinderung/

For Ausbildung, he might need to take help from Bafög. 

On 6/11/2021, 2:15:24, vivanco said:

May be he might be eligible for Hartz4 with added benefit. 

https://www.hartz4.de/mehrbedarf-behinderung/

For Ausbildung, he might need to take help from Bafög. 

Thank you. Is there an NGO which can help me nagivate through all of these questions?

It wouldn't hurt to ask at some sort of "beschützende Werkstätten" where they employ disabled people. They might be able to point you into the right direction.

Edit: This company is one of those. If you don´t know one in your area they will probably be able to help you get in touch.