Why is it so hard to get a 2 room apartment for a couple with a child?

27 posts in this topic

I got an idea... say that I move in with my boyfriend and do not register my kid at the apartment from the start (I am divorcing my husband and I could let him be registered at his dad's house), and then inform the landlord that my kid is moving in with me, can the landord stop me from iving there? Of course, this would be a question for the mitereverein, but out of curiosity, would that work?

I’ve no idea about your last question though just in general...when my daughter and boyfriend were searching for an apartment, many landlords disregarded couples for 2 rooms, no matter how big or small the apartment.  She did get some advice that seemed to help. As most apartments are listed online, it is very helpful to write a decent expression of interest that explains a little about yourself and your living circumstances.  I fully understand a landlord feeling that 2 adults and a child are too much for a 2 room apartment. Maybe if you explain a little more about how you envisage your family’s living arrangements, that might help. Ultimately, a landlord is most likely to choose the most likely long term tenant to avoid additional costs.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, Ana1984 said:

I got an idea... say that I move in with my boyfriend and do not register my kid at the apartment from the start (I am divorcing my husband and I could let him be registered at his dad's house), and then inform the landlord that my kid is moving in with me, can the landord stop me from iving there? Of course, this would be a question for the mitereverein, but out of curiosity, would that work?

I guess it would.

21 hours ago, Ana1984 said:

... I just find it very unfair that landlords still stick to the old mentaity of one room per one person, and then expect exorbitant prices for the rent. I get it, this is how they make a buck after paying oxorbitant prices for their apartments. But this is why they should be a bit more flexible about the number of persons living in their apartments.

Soon only very rich people will be able to afford living in Munich, which I find very sad.

We need cashiers and cleaning ladies to be able to afford living close to their work places, not just IT engineers or bankers.

from the landlord's (or landlady's in my case) perspective "fairness" or "mentality" has nothing to do with it. 

"making a buck" out of my investment is relative to the amount invested - I calculate my "buck" as a (very fair) percentage of my investment, currently around 3% p.a. after taxes.

The number of people I would consider for living in my apartment(s) is a function of the square meters, not the number of rooms. As a rule of thumb I'd be willing to accept one person for every 20m².

My crystal ball is currently out of order, so I can't predict the future about what kind of people will be able to afford housing in Munich. That is also greatly influenced by the amount of new development, or salaries, or demographics. It's been "hard" to find suitable housing in Munich ever since I can remember (I started looking for a place to rent in 1978). It was nerve-wrecking, challenging, exciting - but not sad. 

Whether "we" (I assume you're talking about society in Munich/Germany) need cashiers and cleaning ladies (what about cleaning gentlemen??) living in close proximity to their workplaces will depend a lot on your definition of "close" - and, of course on your means of transportation. 
IT engineers, btw, can work (almost exclusively) from their own home - not neccessarily close to the workplace/customer.

Just out of curiosity - why do you need to live within Munich city limits? 

Good luck on your search! 

1 hour ago, karin_brenig said:

from the landlord's (or landlady's in my case) perspective "fairness" or "mentality" has nothing to do with it. 

"making a buck" out of my investment is relative to the amount invested - I calculate my "buck" as a (very fair) percentage of my investment, currently around 3% p.a. after taxes.

The number of people I would consider for living in my apartment(s) is a function of the square meters, not the number of rooms. As a rule of thumb I'd be willing to accept one person for every 20m².

My crystal ball is currently out of order, so I can't predict the future about what kind of people will be able to afford housing in Munich. That is also greatly influenced by the amount of new development, or salaries, or demographics. It's been "hard" to find suitable housing in Munich ever since I can remember (I started looking for a place to rent in 1978). It was nerve-wrecking, challenging, exciting - but not sad. 

Whether "we" (I assume you're talking about society in Munich/Germany) need cashiers and cleaning ladies (what about cleaning gentlemen??) living in close proximity to their workplaces will depend a lot on your definition of "close" - and, of course on your means of transportation. 
IT engineers, btw, can work (almost exclusively) from their own home - not neccessarily close to the workplace/customer.

Just out of curiosity - why do you need to live within Munich city limits? 

Good luck on your search! 

My work is in Munich, and my kid's kindergarten is also there. Moreover, as I hare custody with my ex, I need to live close enough to him so he can get to have him as much as I will.

15 hours ago, Ana1984 said:

My work is in Munich, and my kid's kindergarten is also there. Moreover, as I hare custody with my ex, I need to live close enough to him so he can get to have him as much as I will.

There are many nice areas in the Kreis that are a bit cheaper and not too far from the center of Munich. I’m right on the border of the Kreis, with easy access to the A8 and the A995. Living in the center of Munich is expensive and I don’t think it’s worth it, tbh. Also your situation sounds like it will be difficult to find an apartment. 

I would suggest adding the Kreis to your search. I don’t think that would affect your custody agreement. Unterhaching and Ottobrunn are very nice. 

I don’t know your situation, but it might be worth it to check out the Wohnungsamt. Maybe they have suggestions? 

1 hour ago, klingklang77 said:

There are many nice areas in the Kreis that are a bit cheaper and not too far from the center of Munich. I’m right on the border of the Kreis, with easy access to the A8 and the A995. Living in the center of Munich is expensive and I don’t think it’s worth it, tbh. Also your situation sounds like it will be difficult to find an apartment. 

I would suggest adding the Kreis to your search. I don’t think that would affect your custody agreement. Unterhaching and Ottobrunn are very nice. 

I don’t know your situation, but it might be worth it to check out the Wohnungsamt. Maybe they have suggestions? 

Thank you for the suggestion. I actually need to be around Kreis Pfaffenhofen (near Petershausen) to be close enough to my ex. Otherwise it will not really work.