Why is it so hard to get a 2 room apartment for a couple with a child?

27 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, 

I am trying to look for apartments for rent north of Munich. It will be for me and my child. Thus, a 2 room apartment would suffice. My kid is young, under 4, and he will be spending a lot of time with his dad as well (we are separated). However, in the future I would like my boyfriend to move in with me. 

My question is the following: why don't landlord like it when 3 people share a 2 room apartment? WHy is a small child considered a person when calculating the maximum number of persons that an apartment can house?

Thank you,

Anna

In Germany, each child is expected to have it's own room, so with a couple, we talk about a 3-room apartment or 2-bedroom apartment.

16 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

In Germany, each child is expected to have it's own room, so with a couple, we talk about a 3-room apartment or 2-bedroom apartment.

I get that, but if I were living with my partner in a 2 room apartment (childless), and then have a child and not be able to move out, the child would still not have his or her own room, no? 

33 minutes ago, Ana1984 said:

I get that, but if I were living with my partner in a 2 room apartment (childless), and then have a child and not be able to move out, the child would still not have his or her own room, no? 

Which in a landlord´s eyes increases the risk that you may move to a bigger place and they´ll have to look for another tenant. Which can be an expensive hassle (probably less so in Munich though). Anyway, be aware that if you want your boyfriend to move in with you it´s better to stipulate in the lease contract that you can do that to avoid discussions with your landlord (especially if you manage to find 2 room apartment). Our property management company would have different rental prices for singles and couples for the same apartment.

56 minutes ago, Ana1984 said:

A landlord first deals with the present situation, not what if. Many landlords also don't accept a couple in a small studio of 30-35 m2.

So it will be you and your 4 yr. old. Then a partner and possibly another child.

A 2 room apartment won't work for you.

On 6/11/2021, 2:12:35, jeba said:

Which in a landlord´s eyes increases the risk that you may move to a bigger place and they´ll have to look for another tenant. Which can be an expensive hassle (probably less so in Munich though). Anyway, be aware that if you want your boyfriend to move in with you it´s better to stipulate in the lease contract that you can do that to avoid discussions with your landlord (especially if you manage to find 2 room apartment). Our property management company would have different rental prices for singles and couples for the same apartment.

I can pay more for the rent if my boyfriend would be allwoed to move in. Would that be an option?

11 minutes ago, Ana1984 said:

I can pay more for the rent if my boyfriend would be allwoed to move in. Would that be an option?

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on your landlord. I'm not sure though whether a landlord could refuse permission (will depend on size). But it's probably better to avoid any dispute by stipulating it in the lease. What a landlord  an never prohibit is taking in a spouse or your child. So in theory, if your child was living with the father and that changed after you moved in with your bf ...

Be aware that I'm not a lawyer though.

My daughter and her boyfriend had problems trying to rent a 2 room apartment in the Bodensee area.  Most landlords considered that tenants should have a bedroom each despite them being a couple.  As such, I’d really suggest that for you, your child and partner, a 3 room apartment might be best.

On 10.6.2021, 20:11:08, Ana1984 said:

WHy is a small child considered a person when calculating the maximum number of persons that an apartment can house?

Mostly because they grow.

For how many years is it reasonable to sleep with the child, or move him to the sofa when you go to bed? Eventually that will get stale/disturb his sleep pattern, and eventually they really do need a bit of space to call their own. Maybe you will have another baby.

This is not making a pretty picture for a landlord with a two room apartment.

It would work if the adults used the living room for sleeping (bed settee) and the bedroom was used as the Kinderzimmer. I remember this solution during the late 50s - early 60s in Germany when housing was scarce during the post-war period. 

PS: This has also worked for me when my small granddaughter visited for the weekend / holidays. She slept in my bed and I slept on the bed settee in the living room.

9 hours ago, bramble said:

It would work if the adults used the living room for sleeping (bed settee) and the bedroom was used as the Kinderzimmer. I remember this solution during the late 50s - early 60s in Germany when housing was scarce during the post-war period. 

True- In the apartment I was living in as a student (consisting of one , bathroom and a kitchen, altogether 31 sqm) there used to live a family of 3 before me.

On 6/13/2021, 10:05:37, kiplette said:

Mostly because they grow.

For how many years is it reasonable to sleep with the child, or move him to the sofa when you go to bed? Eventually that will get stale/disturb his sleep pattern, and eventually they really do need a bit of space to call their own. Maybe you will have another baby.

This is not making a pretty picture for a landlord with a two room apartment.

Well... living on the street because of the excessive cost of apartments in Munich is much worse. And yes, maybe I will have another baby (I am trying my best not to), but in this case this would be a private matter, no? I should be the one deciding if 4 + people is too much for a small apartment. 

Thank you everyone for the replies. I will do my best. I just find it very unfair that landlords still stick to the old mentaity of one room per one person, and then expect exorbitant prices for the rent. I get it, this is how they make a buck after paying oxorbitant prices for their apartments. But this is why they should be a bit more flexible about the number of persons living in their apartments. Soon only very rich people will be able to afford living in Munich, which I find very sad. We need cashiers and cleaning ladies to be able to afford living close to their work places, not just IT engineers or bankers.

Many landlords are looking at long term renters, and at a good relationship with tenants. We always liked to meet prospective tenants a couple of times, and children do play a role in choice ! ( No large dogs?!)

Wish you good luck in your search.

9 hours ago, Ana1984 said:

I should be the one deciding if 4 + people is too much for a small apartment

Not if it's not your apartment.

That's the problem.

I do understand - it is the main reason I couldn't rent a few years back, for myself and my 4 children. We would have been forced to rent something much bigger than we eventually bought, where the children shared in pairs (I live in an area where housing is much cheaper). It seemed bizarre and intrusive at the time, that someone else would have an opinion on our living arrangements, but it does make sense that the owner of a property would stipulate what is acceptable.

Affordable housing is a huge issue and I hope you find something.

13 hours ago, Ana1984 said:

and then expect exorbitant prices for the rent.

Have you checked whether you qualify for "Wohngeld"?

4 hours ago, jeba said:

Have you checked whether you qualify for "Wohngeld"?

Thank you for the suggestion, but rght now I wouldn't qualify. Wohngeld is very little. It does not match the prices of apatments these days. Moreover, landlords do not like people on wohngeld because it shows that the interested party does not make enough money.