Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Zoll: Help, Birthday Gift at Customs

8 posts in this topic

Hello Toytown Community!

My Mother-in-Law sent me a birthday package and labeled the value at $200.00 but I believe it is worth closer to $600.00 (she went big due to covid, not seeing each other in 2 years, etc). The shipping along cost $110 and while tracking its progress I saw customs got it and received the following letter today saying: 
"Wir haben eine an Sie gerichtete Sendung mit unvollstandigen Zollinformationen des Versenders an das folgende Zollamt weitergeleitet" 

I realize I will have to pay but since it is a gift I don't have receipts to prove purchase. What can I expect from them and what is the cost likely to be? Wondering if I should let it go back to the states... 

Many thanks in advance! 

They do check on-line for prices of items, so  undervaluing this package may well cost you the tax . Depends whether  M-I-L sent 20  pairs of shoes, different sizes!!  

It is a magnificent building. You will enjoy going there. They once summoned me for a pair of paste earings. Value Euro 1.50

It was lovely to see them so deflated (it cost me a PITA detour and time off work) as they seemed to be expecting diamonds. Visibly crest-fallen.:lol:

If it's anything like the one in Frankfurt, I hope the gift is not giftwrapped - it's quite depressing unwrapping a birthday or Christmas gift early in front of customs officers!

Dear OP, an update?  already been to the Zoll?

I've been twice over the years (not in Munich).  Once a relative put the "real" value of some Christmas presents on the declaration and it was more than $40.  But once the Zoll guy saw there were wrapped presents, he said "okay" and I took it home.  

The second time I went, years later, the Zoll guy said the package had been "randomly selected".  He said nothing about the declaration was wrong, which had set a value of "$40".  We opened it up, he saw it was mail and clothes and said "Okay" and I took it home. 

On 6/8/2021, 6:37:29, beccac said:

labeled the value at $200.00 but I believe it is worth closer to $600.00

What can I expect from them and what is the cost likely to be?

Worst case you pay 19% UmSt on whatever the Zoll guy dealing with you thinks the thing is worth.   Best case he waves his hand and you take the package home.

note: I am not a Zoll-specialized legal advisor, and I not your legal advisor

Based on my own recent experience, in Jan/2021...

The agent asked me to open the package and check the content. In my case it was mostly clothing and he asked to declare the estimated amount (no online checking in my case). Any amount up to 45 EUR was tax free, then you pay 17.5% tax on the additional amount. You can pay at the cashier with cash or credit card, where you can also see Zoll's collection of seized illegal items :lol:

Obs. There was no charging related to the shipping cost.

Good luck!