Failed my Eye Test for driving License

11 posts in this topic

Firstly, I should mention that I wear glasses regularly. Even with glasses, I do not have a perfect vision as my number is very high. I went to Fielmann and there I failed the test because I could not see the ring opening after the first line (it was just too small). Then the optician confrmed my number, if I was wearing the correct number or not and I was. But it seems, I do not have minimum required vision in my right eye. I do not have any problems seeing roadsigns and stuff whenever I am in a car with friends. But now I dont know how to proceed. Am I even eligible to get a lincese now? Does the eye doctor do some other test to find out how much vision is there and in that case what are the extra charges for these special cases? 

You need to go to an opthalmologist and ask there. My sister failed multiple times on the eye test but eventually passed because in those days in the UK they did not measure the distance from whatever sign... it was all very human. Unlike today. In Germany.

I only just scraped through. My vision is not great and I seem to be night blind and do avoid driving in the dark. If you have one really bad eye you will not be seeing 3-dimensional depth. I have this and have difficulty judging what speed traffic is approaching at.

I know someone who has extremely poor vision. Don't ask me how he ever got a licence. But the first time he went out in fog he had an accident and the car was a write off.

You may just have to accept the worst. And trust that the rule is there for good reason.

Did Fielmann check to see if you need a new prescription?

Do get checked out by an ophthalmologist to rule out any problems. There is a small fee for the glaucoma test which you should have done. (Everyone should)

24 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Did Fielmann check to see if you need a new prescription?

Yes they did. And the glasses I am wearing right now have the correct Number. 

24 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Do get checked out by an ophthalmologist to rule out any problems. There is a small fee for the glaucoma test which you should have done. (Everyone should)

My next plan is to visit an eye doctor, I just dont know what to expect. On the phone, the receptionist said, there is a special test they do but it costs around 100-150€ and I just don't know what that is.

30 minutes ago, optimista said:

You need to go to an opthalmologist and ask there. My sister failed multiple times on the eye test but eventually passed because in those days in the UK they did not measure the distance from whatever sign... it was all very human. Unlike today. In Germany.

I only just scraped through. My vision is not great and I seem to be night blind and do avoid driving in the dark. If you have one really bad eye you will not be seeing 3-dimensional depth. I have this and have difficulty judging what speed traffic is approaching at.

I know someone who has extremely poor vision. Don't ask me how he ever got a licence. But the first time he went out in fog he had an accident and the car was a write off.

Do tell me how they got, I need to know every possibility.

You may just have to accept the worst. And trust that the rule is there for good reason.

I understand that. And I am ok with the rules. I just don't want to be rejected on a technicality. I agree that my vision is poor, but not so much so that I can't see signs in a moving car or so.

8 minutes ago, WanderingFrau said:

I agree that my vision is poor, but not so much so that I can't see signs in a moving car or so.

What about a kid's head bobbing between parked cars at the side of the road just before running out in front of you? 

9 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

What about a kid's head bobbing between parked cars at the side of the road just before running out in front of you? 

Of course! And I can see their pets too, running to the middle of the road to chase a ball.

10 hours ago, WanderingFrau said:

Yes they did. And the glasses I am wearing right now have the correct Number. 

My next plan is to visit an eye doctor, I just dont know what to expect. On the phone, the receptionist said, there is a special test they do but it costs around 100-150€ and I just don't know what that is.

Could also be retinal photos, but best to get a complete check up.

i too had barely scraped by with my eye test for the driving license at Fielmann and later i went to an eye doctor. It turns out i had graustern or cataract in both my eyes. So i got operated and had new lens in both the eyes.

Now i am in another brighter sharper colorful world

Life after cataract procedure is truly miraculous in its change, just like when Dorothy opens the door onto the Land of Oz in the movie! Glad you're doing well, @RajeshG!

On 6/7/2021, 9:31:13, WanderingFrau said:

Firstly, I should mention that I wear glasses regularly. Even with glasses, I do not have a perfect vision as my number is very high. I went to Fielmann and there I failed the test because I could not see the ring opening after the first line (it was just too small). Then the optician confrmed my number, if I was wearing the correct number or not and I was. But it seems, I do not have minimum required vision in my right eye. I do not have any problems seeing roadsigns and stuff whenever I am in a car with friends. But now I dont know how to proceed. Am I even eligible to get a lincese now? Does the eye doctor do some other test to find out how much vision is there and in that case what are the extra charges for these special cases? 

Consider as well scaling up to larger glass surface, even if you end up looking like a person that travel through time out of the 80's... Wearing small glasses with a high prescription grade, produces enormous distortions between what you can normally see and your peripheral vision can catch up.

Do you were  multifocal lenses? That's a problem as well...

Keep a large pair of driving glasses, while driving a DMC DeLorian, and your regular ones fro everything else!