Credit card fraudlently charged

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

I signed up for a free trail to Shaw Academy and they have charged my credit card even though I cancelled well before the free trail ended. The charges are in November, December, January and April, and it is only now that I noticed. 

Can I reverse these charges. I have all the evidence that I cancelled the trail and that the payment was unauthorized.

My card is a Deutsche Bank Visa Card.

I tried searching online but I get different answers.

Pretty sure limit is 8 weeks.  This has sent me scurrying to check my Visa bill.  It is really important to check every month.  Anyway, ask your bank.    

btw if you google them wow do they have a lot of shit reviews about simlar stuff.  They have no office in Germany either.  And no Impressum on their website that I could see.  Really worth checking things out online before doing deals with anyone new online.

Call the number on the back of your CC. At least, all of our cards have phone numbers on the back. 

Start there.

I read that the limit was 120 days for all Visa cards. I called them but the English service does not work on the weekends, so I have to call on Monday.

Have you contacted Shaw Academy and asked why they still charged you despite your cancelation?   And demanded a repayment?

2 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Have you contacted Shaw Academy and asked why they still charged you despite your cancelation?   And demanded a repayment?

Yes, I did that and they claim that it auto-renews though they officially confirmed my cancellation of the free trial.

1 hour ago, solomongrundy said:

Yes, I did that and they claim that it auto-renews though they officially confirmed my cancellation of the free trial.

So what did they say?  You cancelled to late?  But if they say that, you can prove them wrong/mistaken?  Sorry, it was not clear.

Just to update. I contacted them, showed them evidence that I had cancelled well in time, but they kept on offering concessions and a life time membership! I refused. Never agree to anything. I threatened to report them for fraud and to claim a chargeback.

They first returned the April money.

Then after more threatening letters they returned the money in full! 

Main points

1. Insist that you will demand a chargeback.

2. Don t agree to any of their offers.

3. DONT CLICK ON ANY ADDITIONAL MATERIAL THEY OFFER YOU. It s a scam. If you click then they will take money and say that you bought the material.

In the distant way past I worked with some colleagues who all worked for Jamba (before I met them). 

they said that the management of Jamba had the policy of putting off refunds until it got serious as the longer they had the cash, the better. The people they employed to put this off (and be insulted constantly) as log as possible were being paid anyway. 

I guess it will always be the case, cash will only be refunded when it looks like it may cause trouble for the company and not before. As a possible plus for them, people may give up or accept a better offer. 

From my time in retail and working for a bank, one of the only consequences they are really scared of is if  a bank or credit agency (Visa etc) blacklist the company. Very rarely happens though. 

5 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

In the distant way past I worked with some colleagues who all worked for Jamba (before I met them). 

they said that the management of Jamba had the policy of putting off refunds until it got serious as the longer they had the cash, the better. The people they employed to put this off (and be insulted constantly) as log as possible were being paid anyway. 

I guess it will always be the case, cash will only be refunded when it looks like it may cause trouble for the company and not before. As a possible plus for them, people may give up or accept a better offer. 

From my time in retail and working for a bank, one of the only consequences they are really scared of is if  a bank or credit agency (Visa etc) blacklist the company. Very rarely happens though. 

Thanks. I think Shaw Academy is in fear of this since they have scammed many people and there is even a petition to the Irish government (they are based in Dublin) to ban the company and charge it for fraud.