Secular Funerals in Germany

6 posts in this topic

Recently I have attended two secular funeral services:  one was held in a community Friedhof and one was held in a Ruheforst.  The common factor was that both services were conducted by robed Roman Catholic priests.  I cannot remember any funeral service in Germany not being performed by a priest.  Is this the law?  Must all funerals be conducted by a priest?  If so, are Hindu and Muslim priests, for example, "licensed" to perform funerals? 

I've been here long enough to feel I should know this.  If we didn't have lock-down I would ask the guys in the pub this evening!

I don't think that there is a rule. My parents were both buried without a priest being present.

No law that says 'priests' are a must.

Trouble is the churchyards often belong to a church.

And they want to have a say.

:-(((

My mother was also buried here without a priest being present. Her ashes were strewn on an ashes meadow within the boundaries of the cemetary. Instead of a priest one of her grandchildren read a poem she loved. I have stipulated in writing that I will have the same kind of funeral. I'm not a member of a church anyway. One can arrange all this beforehand with the undertaker of one's choice. 

1 hour ago, starkebogen said:

I cannot remember any funeral service in Germany not being performed by a priest.  Is this the law?  Must all funerals be conducted by a priest? 

Of course not. There doesn´t even have to be a ceremony. My mom had even stipulated that no ceremony should be held as she hated wastefulness. She wanted all the money saved to be passed on to her grandchildren.

No, of course there doesn't have to be a priest. I have attended quite a few  around here, where most people are not church members, for neighbours and acqaintances. The procedure is usually run by the burial company, and the Redner, or anyone else who wishes to speak, talks about the life of the deceased.