Buying trousers online using Waist x Inside Leg measurements

31 posts in this topic

I can't wear M&S bras. Their designers seem to think women's breast are located just underneath their chins, even at full length the straps aren't long enough.  I don't know why M&S sells trousers in long/regular/short, but none of their "upper" wear (bras, T-shirts, Pullovers (gave up years ago)) can be worn by any woman taller than 1.68 m.

They are saving on material. Tops too short. Waistlines too low. So my shirts are always hanging out. Thighs too narrow. 3/4 sleeves too tight on the forearm (and I have small bones). Inside seams max. 5mm wide. It all adds up.

I do think Viking/Celtic women have low slung bosoms compared to their continental counterparts. Always had that problem in Germany. Bust darts ending well above where my pointy bits are. Hopeless.

Sleeve lengths are my bugbear. Women's shirts and jackets seem designed for orangutans. Trouser and skirt hems I can do neatly but shortening sleeves with cuffs, or lined jacket sleeves needs doing professionally. Our dry cleaners has a good alterations service and reasonable prices, but still adding another 15-20 euros cost is maddening.

5 hours ago, Feierabend said:

Women's shirts and jackets seem designed for orangutans.

That seems to be new. I bought a white linen blouse on-line. Sleeves about 4 inches too long. So I cut them off and did a crocheted border on the sleeves and around the neck which transformed a boring blouse.:)

On 6/3/2021, 3:52:23, franklan said:

You obviously do. It might be that the German sizes are flawed, but still, there is a way to buy stuff when you´re longer or shorter that the average person of that weight class.

There are tables on the internet giving you the short sizes or long sizes. including comparision to the US system of W/L measurement. 

If you would be a man who is a little bit heavier and need pants with shorter legs (Comparable to W36-L32), for example, your German pants size would be a 25 or 26.

https://www.blitzrechner.de/hosengroesse/

The so called 'half sizes'.

So if a 52 is good for your waist but the trouser legs are too long, you'll need a size 26.

Leggy needs 104 for the same waist.

Not a perfect system, but it works...sort of

PS I'm talking about menswear here. Women's sizes are beyond my comprehension.

On 6/3/2021, 5:46:40, ZA1234 said:

That looks interesting - looking around there now. Thanks.

On 6/7/2021, 8:29:46, HH_Sailor said:

The so called 'half sizes'.

So if a 52 is good for your waist but the trouser legs are too long, you'll need a size 26.

Leggy needs 104 for the same waist.

Not a perfect system, but it works...sort of

I fully understood that before even posting my OP. My point is that there aren't just 3 leg lengths per waist size in adults. Just having short, normal and long isn't enough, and scaling the length pro-rate with the waist loses a lot of people. The typical adult male leg length ranges from around 28" to 40", that includes 28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39 and 40. Choosing 3 of those (30, 33 and 36 for example) leaves a lot of people wearing ridiculously short or long trousers that either get sent back or need adjusting. Here's an example size chart from C&A. You might say choose your waist size and then select either Normalgrössen, Kurgrössen or Kurz untersetzt. In this case it gets even worse - all you could choose from on their dropdown size selection menu was S-6XL. There wasn't an option to choose leg length. So ordering them you don't know which of the lengths you might get (N, K or KU).

I did eventually find some there - I took a risk on the length and they worked out perfectly. This is a rare situation and that size table certainly didn't fill me with confidence but I got lucky. Now I'll probably order some more of those same ones. I'm still mystified as to how I randomly got the right length without being able to select it even if one of them was what I was looking for - I couldn't choose it. There was a 15cm difference between the shortest and the longest and C&A don't know which of them I wanted.

sizes.jpg.f4f40ba818d788e69c44f4d17733e0

1 hour ago, easytodraw said:

Land's End will shorten the pants you buy  for free.

I spent some time in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Needing some new trousers I tried various dept. stores and discovered that even if they had my waist size,

all trousers were for giants...

Asked someone for a translation and it turned out that all dept. stores would

happily cut and sew up while-u-wait (coffee included)

3 hours ago, emmvee said:

I fully understood that before even posting my OP. My point is that there aren't just 3 leg lengths per waist size in adults. Just having short, normal and long isn't enough, and scaling the length pro-rate with the waist loses a lot of people. The typical adult male leg length ranges from around 28" to 40", that includes 28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39 and 40.

Then you need an outfitter's and not C&A / H&M etc

Never fails to raise a smile when the assistant points me to the space on the rack

where there (and only there) are clothes that fit me perfectly.

and I don't even mean tailor made...

They take one look at me and "size me up"  (by eye of course)

I am shrinking as I age, HH! Mostly, the sales assistant points me in the direction of the kiddies wear!

There used to be no VAT on kids clothes. Dunno if it is still the case. Silver lining to every cloud.