Buying trousers online using Waist x Inside Leg measurements

31 posts in this topic

I've been having difficulty finding anywhere that sells trousers here in Germany using the Waist x Inside Leg measurement system. Lots of British and American sites will have two dropdowns in their pages, one where you select waist size and one where you select inside leg. You can be 28" waist and 36" inside leg if you want, or at the opposite end you might have 50" waist and 28" inside leg. All shapes and sizes catered for. With German sites (and in stores) as the waist size increases, so does the leg length. So someone with a 50" waist will have 42" inside legs (giant person rather than fat person). Similarly a person with a 28" waist would be expected to have a 28" inside leg. You can't be long and thin or short and fat in this country it seems. In the pre-brexit era, I'd always order online from Britain but that's less appealing now due to lack of free trade; more expensive delivery, customs, duties, having to make a click-and-collect appointment at the customs place - it's really not a financially viable option now.

Does anyone have any links to good websites that sell regular men's trousers and jogging bottoms (not jeans) using Waist x Inside Leg?

C + A retails pants (trousers) with sizes in inches as well as other designations, I take 34:30. Just be careful not to get jeans with very narrow legs, they are too tight for most people.

1 hour ago, Fietsrad said:

C + A retails pants (trousers) with sizes in inches as well as other designations, I take 34:30. Just be careful not to get jeans with very narrow legs, they are too tight for most people.

Great suggestion. Not sure why I didn't think of trying them. Thanks.

Funnily enough I was looking online for jeans yesterday. I used to buy them from M&S in the UK and I found they do have a German website, or at least a website auf Deutsch; whether that means they'll ship to Germany without extra customs and other charges I've no idea. 

I found a few German sellers who have everything in inches, but M&S insist that Germany must use metric and only give the sizes in cms. One problem I have is that the German sellers don't seem to do odd length sizes. I know from experience if I buy 34" leg I'll be tripping over, and if I buy 32" I'll feel the wind up my trouser legs in the winter. I used to be able to buy 33" from M&S.

C&A seems a good suggestion. But again, only even sizes.

5 hours ago, Dembo said:

Funnily enough I was looking online for jeans yesterday. I used to buy them from M&S in the UK and I found they do have a German website, or at least a website auf Deutsch; whether that means they'll ship to Germany without extra customs and other charges I've no idea. 

I found a few German sellers who have everything in inches, but M&S insist that Germany must use metric and only give the sizes in cms. One problem I have is that the German sellers don't seem to do odd length sizes. I know from experience if I buy 34" leg I'll be tripping over, and if I buy 32" I'll feel the wind up my trouser legs in the winter. I used to be able to buy 33" from M&S.

C&A seems a good suggestion. But again, only even sizes.

I hate shopping.  H und M have so many jeans but I finally found the waist and leg length (in inches for some reason) and style that were good so I bought them online for years.  Then they changed their sizes, apparently to accommodate people getting bigger.  Was a bit pissed off as ended up with 3 pairs that were baggy.  Has turned up to be a blessing as I have put so much weight on since the lockdown.  Without the swimming and the gymn I need the big ones.  Even they are a bit tight now.  Must get moving.

8 hours ago, snowingagain said:

I hate shopping.  H und M have so many jeans but I finally found the waist and leg length (in inches for some reason) and style that were good so I bought them online for years.  Then they changed their sizes, apparently to accommodate people getting bigger.  Was a bit pissed off as ended up with 3 pairs that were baggy.  Has turned up to be a blessing as I have put so much weight on since the lockdown.  Without the swimming and the gymn I need the big ones.  Even they are a bit tight now.  Must get moving.

I must be the rare person who's lost weight in the lockdown. Probably because I've not been drinking much, but also because of cycling - the best way of getting out of the house that didn't involve meeting other people.

H&M online have some good options and deliver in only 2-4 days, so they say. Thanks for the tip.

@Dembo I also lost weight because of putting more thought and effort into making healthy lunches for my wife. She was used to variety and choice from the cafeteria, food trucks, and restaurants around her office. I previously just ate what was quick and easy for lunch. So I dropped two pants sizes. 

14 hours ago, Dembo said:

I found a few German sellers who have everything in inches, but

I don't need them to be in inches, I can convert inches to cm easily enough. It's the inability to order by specifying waist size and inside leg that's frustrating.

I did manage to order some yesterday from C&A :D

3 minutes ago, emmvee said:

I don't need them to be in inches, I can convert inches to cm easily enough. It's the inability to order by specifying waist size and inside leg that's frustrating.

I did manage to order some yesterday from C&A :D

If you would specify if you're a man or a woman and what actual size you need, nice people could help you by looking up the right German size...

If @emVee is a woman, she can try Cecil.de, which uses primarily waist and inside leg in my experience. GStar also uses waist and inside leg. Marc O'Polo uses a mix. 

31 minutes ago, Dembo said:

I must be the rare person who's lost weight in the lockdown. Probably because I've not been drinking much, but also because of cycling - the best way of getting out of the house that didn't involve meeting other people.

H&M online have some good options and deliver in only 2-4 days, so they say. Thanks for the tip.

Beware, H&M have a huge range of jeans and i find most of them are awful!  And delivery for me has been very variable.

2 hours ago, franklan said:

If you would specify if you're a man or a woman and what actual size you need, nice people could help you by looking up the right German size...

Man.

I don't need help looking up the right size, as I said, the German sizes are flawed - they don't have any inside leg measurement whatsoever, and the lengths are linked to the waist size in a linear fashion. You can't be skinny with long legs or fat with short legs - your waist defines your leg length and anything outside of that rule fails. British and American sites let you choose them independently and you can buy a perfect fit without even trying them on. I feel like I'm repeating what I said earlier.

Clothing one's body has become a major issue since the bulk of clothes are now made in China for dwarves with body proportions that do not resemble our European Neanderthal Viking Celtic curves. If you see me in the street you are never going to say I am a deformed misfit. But I always had huge trouble finding clothes that came anywhere near any part of my body. Especially on the Continent. As a result I have spent most of my life in Levis. M&S used to be my go-to boutique in the 80s and early 90s. Then they went seriously downhill.

The situation has now got so bad I find myself digging out the fashion mistakes of yore lurking at the back of my wardrobes. By comparison to today's synthetic skimpy crap they seem remarkably well made and of good natural fibre fabrics. Dunno what I will do when I get through that stuff. Maybe start home spinning my own textiles and hand-crafting my own clothes. I know a Finnish lady who already does that successfully.

I wonder what the shops are doing with all this minuscule merchandise that fits no-one. Because they surely cannot be selling it.

I guess I am trying to say, take heart, you are not alone. But yeah, it is becoming critical if we do not want to embrace FKK and scare the corgies. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

3 minutes ago, optimista said:

I wonder what the shops are doing with all this minuscule merchandise that fits no-one. Because they surely cannot be selling it.

They typically don't stock things that don't sell. I see a lot of tiny people running around in Munich.

I recently ordered a pair of Brax jeans from Amazon. They seem to be good quality and they fit nice. I've been wearing skinny jeans (stretchy) for years and decided I wanted a pair of mom jeans.

(I gave up on ordering bras. They were all either too small or too big even when I ordered different sizes. Poor Himself had to send them all back except for 2 that sorta fit.)

47 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I gave up on ordering bras. They were all either too small or too big even when I ordered different sizes. Poor Himself had to send them all back except for 2 that sorta fit.

It would be worse if Himself went back to stores and returned them in person 👻.

I can try them on in stores. That's what I finally did when I was in Ljubljana the other week. Replaced all of my underwear.

1 hour ago, emmvee said:

Man.

I don't need help looking up the right size, as I said, the German sizes are flawed - they don't have any inside leg measurement whatsoever, and the lengths are linked to the waist size in a linear fashion.

You obviously do. It might be that the German sizes are flawed, but still, there is a way to buy stuff when you´re longer or shorter that the average person of that weight class.

There are tables on the internet giving you the short sizes or long sizes. including comparision to the US system of W/L measurement. 

If you would be a man who is a little bit heavier and need pants with shorter legs (Comparable to W36-L32), for example, your German pants size would be a 25 or 26.

https://www.blitzrechner.de/hosengroesse/

Zalando allows size filters for example

https://en.zalando.de/mens-clothing-trousers/__size-32/?length=30

And you could try shein if you feel up to it. They only have S M L XL sizes, but give the exact dimensions of the items under "size and fit". Delivery time longer than zalando of course, and you only get one free parcel return (they often send in more than one parcel, so you must wait till the entire order arrives). Quality is excellent in my experience, choice is wide, sizing generous. Check the reviews and real life pics for each item to see what its like on real people.

4 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I gave up on ordering bras.

Ah bras. Nightmare. Ljubljana the place, eh?

I used to get all my smalls from M&S. Good quality. But in UK the shops all now seem to have a policy of stocking one of each size from 30AA to 48GG. So when the one model of a mean average 40B (I really would need an A but that does not even seem to exist) disappears, it's gone. No they do not order them. It's take or leave what's there. :wacko: I have a few models bought in French supermarkets. Instruments of torture. I abandoned them during lockdown. Now I am back to wearing them with some reluctance, more for other people's sake than mine. I agree you definitely need to try them on in situ. Last time I was in Blighty I had to BUY about 10 bras at M&S, try them on and then get a no-questions-asked refund for what didn't fit. Because they carried no stock. That was their new system. You have to invent that one. Cash flow problems maybe?

You can get excellent 100% cotton extremely comfy knickers with decent functional gussets from Spain by the way. I hope this is not too much information for LukeSkywalker. Is the underwear in Holland any good?

I thought Brax were men's but now see they do women too. Thanks for the tip. Es lebe TT.

After a couple of Brexit related hitches with M&S at the beginning of the year, things seem to have settled down and I haven't had any extra charges. Bra sizes are variable with any brand I find and theirs are no worse than most. They carry loads of customer reviews so you can usually find comments from people who match your size more or less.

I also like Boden for quality and nice colours but have no idea about their men's wear. I discovered their EU site has the same products as DE but often has more generous discounts and free delivery terms.