Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Do younger adults use forum?

13 posts in this topic

Correct me if I am wrong but forum is becoming unpopular in younger adults

They mostly use social media and silly apps like TicTok, 

It's a pity 

The Swedish interns really need to step up their game if they want more clicks here. :D

10 hours ago, silty1 said:

Not a pity, it's the way of the world. Young people will do and say as they see fit, and have since forever. They dress funny, they talk weird, and their MUSIC! It's just noise.

You have become your Grandfather!

17 hours ago, starkebogen said:

You have become your Grandfather!

I would hope so. He led a full life. 

On 1.6.2021, 11:35:28, alien7 said:

Correct me if I am wrong but forum is becoming unpopular in younger adults

They mostly use social media and silly apps like TicTok, 

It's a pity 

You are correct. My children who are young adults only use social media. They laugh at me for using forums and call me a "Boomer". I have told them that I am in fact Generation X to which they reply "What a Boomer thing to say" :D

I doubt that many of generation-whatever can even define "Boomer" accurately. It's just become an insult like "square" from the sixties, "uncool" or  "spießig". Though I think boomer is worse, it seems to carry huge overtones of resentment.

21 minutes ago, Feierabend said:

I doubt that many of generation-whatever can even define "Boomer" accurately. It's just become an insult like "square" from the sixties, "uncool" or  "spießig". Though I think boomer is worse, it seems to carry huge overtones of resentment.

These are all just labels thrown out there to cause arguments and to create content and get likes on social media (and with that generate adverting revenue).

Some of the most liberal people I have ever met were way past retirement and some of the most conservative people I know are younger than I am and just scrape in the millennial category.

If we could nail them all don to a set of traits or views, it is gong to be more a mindset than some label applied to a person based on when they were born.

I think they think boomer means "annoying, out-of-it old person".  When in fact the last generation to truly, properly dislike and resent the Baby Boomers and be able to enthusiastically and in great detail name the myriad reasons why, are those of us with Boomer parents. :) 

3 hours ago, cb6dba said:

These are all just labels thrown out there to cause arguments and to create content and get likes on social media (and with that generate adverting revenue).

Some of the most liberal people I have ever met were way past retirement and some of the most conservative people I know are younger than I am and just scrape in the millennial category.

If we could nail them all don to a set of traits or views, it is gong to be more a mindset than some label applied to a person based on when they were born.

Superb post! Thank you!

Best Alter Sack wishes!😂👍

Boomers will leave more wealth to their offspring than any generation before.  

Yes, absolutely younger people use forums.  Sometime checkout Reddit.  It’s huge and has thousands of sub categories.  The front page largely is populous yip-yap, but other buried categories sometimes can be quite interesting.  I’m not a member, so cannot comment, however I can read endlessly as long as I access it though another search engine that is not google.  There’s a lot of stereotyping there and blaming of baby boomers and Americans in general for the woes of the world, which gets a bit tiresome.  I can only assume it’s easier to sit behind the anonymity of a screen and to seek out confirmation bias than it is to make any concrete difference.

As far as other forums they seem to have gone by the wayside.  I can name a few, one where I met a dear German man and a wonderful friend, who died three years ago tomorrow at age 41.  These boards use to be lively discussions with some genuinely intellectually curious people.  Sadly, I do think those places mostly have diminished or are gone entirely.

The irony is that (probably) the boards and other technologies were created by the boomers.