Bachelor's study in Germany for American Students - minimum GPA requirements.

22 posts in this topic

Thanks engelchen !,  I was waiting for your response.  It is very valuable for someone naïve like me. 

Thanks for this note too " if you dropped out for any reason you wouldn't have the necessary education to study something else. "  I am realizing that changing tracks in Germany is not so easy as in America. 

And guilty as charged for  "you have not understood how things work in Germany" .  

I still have the option of doing my Bachelors ( 2 years or full 4 years ) in USA before considering re-applying hopefully with better grades. or perhaps consider the Exchange program that my American university has with Mannheim university.  I am leaning towards this option.  You had mentioned  previously that my High School cumulative GPA [9th grade to 12 grade ]  and university GPA will be averaged and it should be above 3.0.

One other question :  Is the  "Dual VET vocational school system"   available to international students ?  Is there a path to university study later on or it only ends with a vocational job ?

Thanks a lot

rajapkp

I am realizing that changing tracks in Germany is not so easy as in America. 

That is the understatement of the century! Until recently it hasn't really been possible. Now it is possible, but in many cases very difficult. 

I still have the option of doing my Bachelors ( 2 years or full 4 years ) in USA before considering re-applying hopefully with better grades. or perhaps consider the Exchange program that my American university has with Mannheim university.  I am leaning towards this option.  You had mentioned  previously that my High School cumulative GPA [9th grade to 12 grade ]  and university GPA will be averaged and it should be above 3.0.

Your high school and university GPA will be averaged. It is also important that you choose your courses based on what you'd want to later study. Finishing a 4 year degree in the US with an exchange year in Germany sounds like a very good plan.

One other question :  Is the  "Dual VET vocational school system"   available to international students ?  Is there a path to university study later on or it only ends with a vocational job ?

It is possible for international students to start an apprenticeship in Germany and some apprenticeships have excellent career prospects. However, completing an apprenticeship in order to gain admittance to university is only possible in a very limited number of situations.

You first need to decide what you want to study. The Germans don't really understand the concept of "undeclared majors" and this would only be possible in the US.