What is the best achievement in your life?

31 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, jubinjohn said:

I want to create an information source on colon cancer detection and treatments around my home town in India after this corona mess calms down. People are unaware. So many falls victim to ignorance and lack of guidance.

That's a very noble thing to do. I applaud you.

Do try contacting the Felix Burda Stiftung

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Burda_Foundation

https://www.felix-burda-stiftung.de/

This is a German foundation for early detection and treatment of colon cancer. It was started when Felix, the son of Hubert Burda, owner of the Burda publishing house passed away from colon cancer detected far too late. He was in his thirties.
I actually met Felix Burda in the last year of his life (he was starting up our company), later his parents. The Burda family is quite wacky (and rich and creative), but they are very serious about the foundation.

@MetallThanks for this information. My plan was actually motivated by the german health system to screen people over 55 years. Wow , so it was Burda foundation ,who made it happen.

7 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I've  been making fun here.

The best thing I ever did in my life was going to visit the young man in prison who killed my son as a drunk driver and forgiving him face to face. He never intended to do it.

It saved me from living in anger the rest of my life.

Wow, I don't think I could have done that!

As MUinEU already said, that really does take strength.

"I've  been making fun here.

The best thing I ever did in my life was going to visit the young man in prison who killed my son as a drunk driver and forgiving him face to face. He never intended to do it.

It saved me from living in anger the rest of my life."

fraufruit: That's one of the most amazing things I've here heard.  I am speechless in admiration.

@ FF: I think that puts you on an equal footing - at least - with Tap. Not that it is a competition.

That is a huge achievement indeed. Well done.

Most inspiring, most moving post of the decade (possibly ever) on TT.

Thanks to you all and I'm sure many of you might do the same were you in a similar situation. It was the only way for me. We get to choose forgiveness. 

I told the story here back in the day when it happened. 

Giving blood for many years.  I was especially welcome as I was a  universal donor. I remember getting small certificates as I passed  various numbers. E, g,10 donations, 20, and so on.

Looking around me when I was donating , I saw all manner of people doing the same without fuss or bother, A group of unsung heros of which I was lucky to be one. My faith in humanity wes refreshed. We were saving lives.

Yet I am not allowed to donate in Germany as I was in the UK at the time of Jacob Kruezfeld  disease .  This is a matter of regret.

1 hour ago, optimista said:

@ FF: I think that puts you on an equal footing - at least - with Tap. Not that it is a competition.

That is a huge achievement indeed. Well done.

Most inspiring, most moving post of the decade (possibly ever) on TT.

What I did, lots of single parents have to do, there are enough people here on TT doing the same. What FF did is on a whole other level and I have such admiration for her in doing what she did - we could all learn something from that! 

2 hours ago, colincostello said:

I am not allowed to donate in Germany as I was in the UK at the time of Jacob Kruezfeld  disease .  This is a matter of regret.

Ah... as were 60 million other people. But I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. Nobody has ever wanted mine because I had hepatitis as a kid.

I just thought of another thing.  I learned to play guitar over the past year.  I don’t play well yet, but I play much better than I did a year ago... and I have recorded two songs with me playing along.  

I'm working on keeping idiots occupied. 

So far it's going well 🤣