Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Registering vehicle

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am currently in the us military stationed in Germany  and plan to go to school in Germany after. I would like to keep the car I have. I am aware of the costs of converting to euro spec. However I read that I will have to provide a copy of the car’s original registration. Is this true? I don’t think I will be able to track down the cars original owner and get a copy. Or will a copy of my current USAEUR registration suffice?

All my military/SOFA friends who had American spec cars ended up selling them to other members of the military. After looking into it, each and every one of them decided the conversion wasn't worth it.

Your mileage may vary.

P.S. I moved this to the "U.S. Military" section for you.

Not in the military anymore here but my now ex and I moved back a few years ago. She wanted to take her mustang with her. We looked it up and it was a few thousand from what I remember to convert it. Not really worth it. Try selling it and getting a German spec car, itll save you the headache.

I think it's a bit much to have each registration, no? Title and registration as a proof of ownership, TÜV Certificate which proves the technical aspect and proof of VAT payment or exemption from the Zoll should be the bulk of paperwork you need:

https://www.kaiserslautern.de/serviceportal/dl/032388/index.html.de

If I think of my car, first registered in one state, then another, then another and then with USAREUR ... I can't imagine the Zulassungsstelle cares about all that paperwork.