Clogged pipe, water damage, what to do.

6 posts in this topic

Hello,
due to a clogged pipe and a leaking flusher, water reached the parquet and the flat below. They might now claiming some damages. I would like to know (1) if this is the kind of things covered by the owner's insurance or do you think I'm personally liable myself as the tenant, (2) if the latter applies, given I don't have an insurance, what's the correct way to pay them out, for example should I pay the tenant or the owner directly; should I wait for written demands or go by shake of hands? and (3) how do I defend myself against unproportional demands, i.e. if they end up asking ten thousand for minor floor damages. Any other recommendation is welcome.

Let your landlord handle it. It is not your property. Tell them immediately. They should have insurance.

This happened to a friend of mine. He also got to stay in a hotel during repairs.

49 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Let your landlord handle it. It is not your property. Tell them immediately. They should have insurance.

This happened to a friend of mine. He also got to stay in a hotel during repairs.

Ah, you give me hope.

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

So have you called them yet???

The only contact I have is the agency that manages it, and it's holiday. Will have to call them tomorrow morning.