Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bringing Car from one country to another

13 posts in this topic

Will there be a problem if I bring a car from non EU country to Germany or other EU country for a long time ? for example 6 - 24 months ?

after how many months needs that car to get country number wherever it is located?

6 months. And it must pass a Tüv inspection, which might get you into troubles. A friend brought his car with him and it failed the inspection. To pass it, he had to make expensive repairs.

are they actually chasing such cars? what if it entered Schengen area and overstayed few months

theoretically driver can say he was 3 months in Germany, 3 months in Austria and 3 months in Switzerland as there is no border control inside Schengen area

Police will eventually stop you. If you have residence in Germany and get caught driving a car without German residence after 6 months, you are in trouble. Happened twice to a friend.

If you are not registered in Germany, in this case will they eventually be chasing date when person entered Schengen area?

22 hours ago, alien7 said:

are they actually chasing such cars? what if it entered Schengen area and overstayed few months

theoretically driver can say he was 3 months in Germany, 3 months in Austria and 3 months in Switzerland as there is no border control inside Schengen area

19 minutes ago, alien7 said:

If you are not registered in Germany, in this case will they eventually be chasing date when person entered Schengen area?

I assume you have a EU passport, because otherwise you are breaking several other laws.

Do you think you are the first person ever who tried registering their car in Czechina/Poland and paying much lower road tax/insurance? Just don't do this. You will get caught, the question is not "if" but "when". And when you get caught, the fine will well exceed all the savings during these years.

@yourkeau

I am just interested what if I want to travel across Europe for 1-2 years and not register anywhere

why should I register in some particular country

Driving around Europe for a couple of years in an unregistered and therefore uninsured car. Yes, what could go wrong? 

Friday has arrived particularly early this week...

1 hour ago, john_b said:

Driving around Europe for a couple of years in an unregistered and therefore uninsured car. Yes, what could go wrong? 

Friday has arrived particularly early this week...

I would rather insure it in original country, not with an expensive German / EU insurance

11 hours ago, alien7 said:

If you are not registered in Germany, you can't live here. You can't rent, you can't do shit. What is your plan? No bullshit this time, otherwise we can't help you.

11 hours ago, alien7 said:

I would rather insure it in original country, not with an expensive German / EU insurance

Check the small print.

Insurance companies the world over just love small print.

Buy a magnifying glass and get studying.

My life experience shows that if you buy a product in country "A" then they allow you to be in country "B"

for a while. But "a while" will be defined. They simply won't pay up  - and you'll have a hefty fine when caught.

It ain't worth it

:ph34r:

4 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

Check the small print.

Insurance companies the world over just love small print.

Buy a magnifying glass and get studying.

My life experience shows that if you buy a product in country "A" then they allow you to be in country "B"

for a while. But "a while" will be defined. They simply won't pay up  - and you'll have a hefty fine when caught.

It ain't worth it

:ph34r:

And several countries would not be covered at all.  Your alien life force strong is not!