Question to Germans/expats living close to Czech border

4 posts in this topic

- Do you go to cross-country tours there? Or maybe once-a-month shopping trips?

- What things do you buy? Do you buy cheaper groceries and gas/petrol there? Is it worth the trip, considering German food for example is quite affordable for a Western country?

- Which towns and cities would you say one must skip and which ones you find have good architecture (I know the largest ones - Pilsen, Karlovy Vary and Klatovy are beautiful but some smaller ones look less nice).

- If you ever shop in the ethnic/Mix Markt stores in Germany, can you please tell me if they carry Czech, Slovak or Hungarian items? I couldn't find any info online, just saw they offer Turkish, Polish and Russian items. Balkan, Polish and Russian food's well-presented as there are many of us in Deutschland lol. But I've heard Czechs rarely migrate abroad so I wonder if there are enough people to buy it. Just wondering if I could find such goodies as Kofola (the Czech answer to Coca-cola), Vinea (Grape-based soft drink), the Marlenka cakes and the Slovak Treska v majoneze (cod in mayo) salad in Germany. I loved them all while living in Czechia and as I'm considering relocating to Bavaria near Czechia I want to know more about what ethnic food's available there.

Prost! :)

We're in Passau. Pre-COVID, we'd go over to the Czech Republic once or twice a year to get a few types of beer that my partner likes that aren't sold on this side of the border as well as whatever other groceries we don't usually have here and look interesting. I don't think we've ever purchased gas in the Czech Republic; Austria is much closer to where we live so pre-COVID, we'd typically go to Schärding for gas and occasional Billa runs. Groceries are usually more expensive than Austria than in Germany but if I'm over there, I like picking up a Dachsteinbrot. 

I don't regularly see any Czech or Slovak items in stores here and have never seen any of the products you named in stores here. In terms of Hungarian items, Pick salami is pretty widely available, as are a few other items (Erős Pista, the various Univer seasoning "cremes," jarred lecsó, Unicum and Tokaji aszú if there's a good selection of alcohol...), but not a lot of other popular Hungarian groceries (paprikás szalonna, trappista cheese, Túró Rudi, etc.). Pre-COVID, there were a few companies that would travel to various supermarkets and sell Hungarian groceries there for a day or two each month. There was a huge mark-up on them though, so I usually just bring back a ton of Hungarian groceries when I visit friends in Győr once a year. Kaufland has a decent selection of Turkish, Polish, and Russian items. Around here, there are quite a few places to get Italian food, but other than that, locals can be fairly skeptical of any non-Bavarian food and aren't necessarily aware of the wide, wide world of food out there. For example, my very Bavarian partner had never heard of pierogi until I brought some home from Kaufland one day. I was recently craving Turkish köfte (specifically, a Gel Gör Köfte Spezial) and I don't know of anyplace that has them - just super average Döner, Dürüm, and Lahmacun. When I want Mexican or Korean food, it's better to order ingredients from Mex-Al or Dawayo and cook it myself. The food scene is getting slightly better, though. Passau is the first place I have lived in Germany where the best burgers around aren't the ones from McDonald's. There's a good Thai restaurant in town and a new place has báhn mìs. The Esskultur restaurants are consistently good to excellent. When the Austrian border is open, the Lukas restaurants in Schärding are nice if you're looking for something really special.

Great!

Have you ever visited Czech towns or cities for tourism like architecture?

I think Klatovy is a bit too far away from you but it's incredible. Do you visit Austria/Linz often?

I made a map (bad quality, sorry) on the most underrated places in Bavaia and the surrounding parts of the Czech Republic and Austria from an international point of view. It's my personal opinion based on what places vibe with me as in architecture and nature around, so other's opinion may differ. Karlovy Vary and the other spa towns are not as knows today is in the historic past. I love the nature around Nuremberg but the city itself was subject of mass post-war modernist building that hurt its vibe imo.

Generally I think the nicest places in Bavaria are the nature areas and small towns and villages. I guess it makes sense with war destruction from the past.

There are lots of beautiful but underrated castles everywhere on that map, but the most underrated ones are in the areas east of the Coburg - Nuremberg - Ingolstadt line up to Pilsen. The most underrated cities/towns/areas are underlined with red and I just had to add Forchheim and Stribro, though there might be other small towns that look surprisingly nice. Enoy! :)

underrated.JPG