New landlord and change of old contract terms

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! First time posting here. I leave in Hannover and I just found a nice apartment, for which I am about to sign the rental agreement.

However, the current owner said that the building is on sale, and although there are no current official information about who is actually going to buy it, it is likely that there will be another landlord in the time of my tenancy. What are the general rules when you get a new landlord? My contract is unlimited, will the potential new owner have to oblige to the terms of the old contract?

(+) I already had a previous experience where a company bought the block I was living in, and doing some renovations they literally doubled the price of the rent (needless to say I gave notice and left). I know that in 2019 a new law came out to regulate this "loophole", limiting the freedom landlords have to increase the rent at will but I would like to hear some opinions/suggestions. 

Thank you so much!

If you haven't already- join the Mieterverein ( Tenant's Association). Your best resource for contract checking, landlord issues, your rights as a tenant, lawyer resource. All at a reasonable annual cost,

Agree with RedMidge. "Mieterverein" (about 100+ Euros p.a.) is better than some half-baked answers from people which is always difficult since situations vary so much. There are many laws concerning your rights as a tennant. But also for the landlord.

You may also want to consider legal insurance.  My husband and I are in the Mieterverein, but we also have legal insurance.  When it came time to vacate our last home, we ended up having to sue for our Kaution.  The legal insurance proved to be more useful in our case.  But I think some Mietervereins also offer legal insurance.

I also believe that legal insurance incl. the option tenant law is often more efficient since plenty of Mietervereine are overloaded with enqueries and cases and are not able to respond/act in a timely manner.

1 hour ago, knotheadusc said:

You may also want to consider legal insurance.  My husband and I are in the Mieterverein, but we also have legal insurance.  When it came time to vacate our last home, we ended up having to sue for our Kaution.  The legal insurance proved to be more useful in our case.  But I think some Mietervereins also offer legal insurance.

Thank you very much! Where do I get this insurance? I will sign up to the Mieterverein just to be safe in the meantime.