Quick PCR Test (<24 h)

25 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if there are places in Berlin to get a fast PCR test?  it seems easy to get a “schnell test” but those are not PCR..

I am flying through Amsterdam and they want a PCR taken less than 24 hours before arrival. 

I am interested to hear your experience. I have a 6 am flight from HH through AMS next week... 

A whole different new meaning to the traditional „ nose job.“😂

Had it done just before flying in from Crete and will need another „ nose job „ end of next week when flying back. 😂

PCR test taken 24 hours before arrival seems unreasonable.  Are you sure?

14 hours ago, Brockman said:

Much appreciated.  It looks like I'll be going there.  I've actually all ready been there, but not in a while.   

If it helps anyone in the future, they actually will do kids under 5 if you just make the appointment (my experience was the Berlin-Kreuzberg spot).  I have two kids, 2 and 4 years of age, and they tested both of them without any problem.  The 

12 hours ago, fraufruit said:

We got PCR tests at our GP last week and had the results and proof on our phones that evening.

Do you know if your GP is part of any special program?  Or just because of the low traffic and timing?  Sounds like a normal PCR test to me, which I'd be fine with if the GP comforted me a bit.  I'll pay the extra €20 for the 3.5 hour guarantee until I figure something like that out though.  

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

PCR test taken 24 hours before arrival seems unreasonable.  Are you sure?

Because you're curious, AMS Schiphol has tighter requirements (currently).  You can fly through other hubs like Paris (Air France) or Munich (Lufthansa) to get around this.  Even with Amsterdam, however, yes, there is a choice.  You can take a single PCR test within 24 hours of the flight or, alternatively, a PCR within 72 hours of the flight + an antigen 'schnell' test within 24 hours.  I don't think any other aiports are as strict, but I don't have a full overview.  

8 minutes ago, shockedpenguin said:

Do you know if your GP is part of any special program? 

We don't know of any program. Every registered person can have free testing.

1 hour ago, shockedpenguin said:

Because you're curious, AMS Schiphol has tighter requirements (currently).  You can fly through other hubs like Paris (Air France) or Munich (Lufthansa) to get around this.  Even with Amsterdam, however, yes, there is a choice.  You can take a single PCR test within 24 hours of the flight or, alternatively, a PCR within 72 hours of the flight + an antigen 'schnell' test within 24 hours.  I don't think any other aiports are as strict, but I don't have a full overview.  

72 hours PCR + 24 hours fast test is reasonable.  24 hours PCR test is very difficult to get in Germany.

If you still need info:

PCR: https://www.coronafreepass.de/ is the cheapest, they normally deliver results in 24h-36h.

Fast Test:  There are around 700-800 free test-centers in Berlin, they are literally everywhere.  You have to bring your German ID or your passport and your domicile registration (Anmeldung) and a pen.   You will receive the results on your phone.   You can take one test a week for free.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Every registered person can have free testing.

PCR or just the lateral flow?

Round here, the lateral flow (a bit crap, plenty of false results in both directions) is free at a variety of locations, the PCR you have to book and pay for (about 70€) if it is for private use eg. travel, free only if it is ordered by eg. the kids' school - we have a lab processing them locally, results in 24 hours usually, not always. We are pretty lucky here, lots of places take longer. I have not seen the option to pay more for a quicker result, which is common in other countries.

We've used the local PCR twice (school issue) and the results have taken around 20 hours each time. 

@Krieg I can't see the cost for a PCR. Am I being dim or would I have to pretend book to get that info?

PCR is free in Bavaria. Himself says that people can have 2 tests per week.

They charge for tests at the airport for flying.

8 minutes ago, kiplette said:

@Krieg I can't see the cost for a PCR. Am I being dim or would I have to pretend book to get that info?

From 35 EUR.

But I didn't realise the OP was in Berlin, I think it is still not working here.

Relevant info to Berlin:

https://www.berlin.de/corona/testzentren/

In Berlin the cost from 50 EUR.  And they are for free only for medical reasons (your doctor says so).

Thanks. That is cheap.

14 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

PCR is free in Bavaria. Himself says that people can have 2 tests per week.

Interesting. Here that's just the lateral flow, for shopping etc.

How quickly does the lab get the results back, do you know?

For shopping and restaurants you do not need PCR, you only need the fast test.  

And in terms of comfort, there is now PCR tests that work by gargling, so the nose discomfort will be soon a thing of the past.

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

How quickly does the lab get the results back, do you know?

As I said, we got our results the same evening for the PCR and he swabbed our throats, not noses. Not unpleasant, just a little gag. We got them because we were traveling and of course we weren't checked anywhere in Austria or Slovenia. Not even passports.

Folks,

I'm in the US and might be travelling to Berlin early August for a week or so (I don't live in Berlin, but have a family friend there).  I'm flying through London which requires a PCR or Antigen test.  As a non-resident of Germany, can I go to one of the free testing centers to get a schnelltest for my return flight?  Thanks.

S.

Check the website for the airport you plan to fly out of - I believe all airports offer testing.