Submitting Niederlassungserlaubnis application: post, email, or fax?

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I understand there are a lot of threads about the whole NE application process. However, this is less about the waiting time or the application itself, but simply how to submit the application: post, fax, or email? I have seen some replies in other threads saying that email worked just fine, which surprised me, because lol German bureaucracy.

Seeing as the Ausländerbehörde page is very non-specific and simply mentions "schriftlicher Antrag", I'd love to hear some anecdotal stories on how people applied and what method worked best (or perhaps didn't work). Note: I will have everything for the application ready to go and will submit every single thing on that damn list in one go to try and help the process along as quickly as possible.

My situation: by the end of next month I will finally be able to apply for a NE - all requirements filled. With the pandemic being crazy as balls and everything so unpredictable, I'd obviously like to get it sorted sooner rather than later. Hope dies last... :D

Thanks everyone!

PS: this page seems helpful with direct contact emails depending on nationality. Did anyone try those emails and get a reply?
https://www.berlin.de/einwanderung/ueber-uns/aktuelles/artikel.1041742.php

Mail it using registered mail. Otherwise, the Berlin office has the tendency to throw away misplace applications for permanent residency, as I have encountered through my own experience. Of all the people in the country I would trust, the Berlin immigration office is not even on the list. I would trust my ex wife not to turn in a video clip of me lighting up a fuse and blowing up a federal building while the FBI offers a $50 million reward for information...before I would trust the Berlin office to properly handle residence or immigration paperwork. Almost each and every time I've dealt with them, I've had to waste money on a lawyer to tell them I am entitled to something, or they are misusing or misinterpreting a German law paragraph.

Yeah, that was my thought - that registered mail is slow but usually best, as emails generally don't count here. But I have read some anecdotal stuff about how people have tried the email route and SOME (not all) have gotten fairly quick replies.

Considering the office "losing" applications, wouldn't an email be best? Well I suppose the difference between throwing away a paper application and deleting an email is not so big...

Dude, don't waste your time on emails. I have tried emails before, they flat out do not answer you unless you're an attorney. They just list email addresses on their site for face saving purposes. Mail it. I would even use DHL for extra security measures so there is no way in hell anyone can say the office never got the application.

1 hour ago, razorsandroses said:

Almost each and every time I've dealt with them, I've had to waste money on a lawyer to tell them I am entitled to something, or they are misusing or misinterpreting a German law paragraph.

I've never had to use a lawyer and managed to argue with them all by myself.

44 minutes ago, razorsandroses said:

I have tried emails before, they flat out do not answer you unless you're an attorney.

I'm not a lawyer and have contacted them by email. 

The drawback of sending anything by snail mail is that then they have to scan everything and at the time I was applying for my NE the scanning backlog was about 3 weeks. 

Yeah, that was kind of my thinking - if email doesn't work, then I can just send it by post. But I may be lucky. Thanks @engelchen

@razorsandroses I saw your post in another thread about an absolute horror story of getting the Niederlassungserlaubnis. I too have had a horrific time getting something approved, but thankfully my other experiences have so far been positive. One never knows...