A question for all you long-timers:

72 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Bad teeth in the UK? It's not like something one could blame on Brexit (not that you did). It has been the same for many generations, oder?

Well Harald Wilson (PM in the '60s) had his gap done when elected!

2 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

In the 1980's (when I still lived in Blighty) the dentists were part of the High Street scene.

Need a dentist - just knock on the door  and make an appointment. NHS of course. Only a bill if

needing bridge work. Affordable? Certainly (I was a student or post grad employee)

That newspaper article shows people now have to wait three years just for the appointment...

I'm upset, if I have to wait three hours for an appointment here!

But maybe I'm just lucky

:-)

Same here. Then gain I get annoyed the moment i'm back and I realize there are only 3 buses an hour in to the city. 

I just do not see how people manage to live in an area where everything you may need or want to do, is elsewhere, the last bus is 10:50 and the taxis stop running around 3:30 at weekends (if you are lucky) and around 02:00 during the week (which isn't too bad considering).

That's not specific to where I am form, the Mrs comes from an area like that.

Obviously we do not live there.

2 hours ago, cb6dba said:

Same here. Then gain I get annoyed the moment i'm back and I realize there are only 3 buses an hour in to the city. 

I just do not see how people manage to live in an area where everything you may need or want to do, is elsewhere, the last bus is 10:50 and the taxis stop running around 3:30 at weekends (if you are lucky) and around 02:00 during the week (which isn't too bad considering).

That's not specific to where I am form, the Mrs comes from an area like that.

Obviously we do not live there.

My first apartment in Germany, the nearest bus was every half hour on school days, every hour during holidays and the last bus going back from downtown at 9 pm.  There are loads of villages around here too with crappy public transport.  A friend of mine lives in a village where the bus passes through every 1-2 hrs and the last bus is at 6:15 pm from one end, 6:50 from the other.  Saturdays the last bus is at 14:40 / 15:05.  Sundays it doesn't run.  So if you want to live somewhere quiet, you want cheap housing, that's your spot but you'd need a car,

Soz to ask here but oldtimers.. 

I joined a while back and took a break due to the not so nice people attacking new members. 

I came back but I can't create topics. 

Am I overlooking the function or is it restricted? 

1 hour ago, MUinEU said:

Soz to ask here but oldtimers.. 

I joined a while back and took a break due to the not so nice people attacking new members. 

I came back but I can't create topics. 

Am I overlooking the function or is it restricted? 

If you are in a theme like here in Miscellaneous, you'd see a button saying "Start new topic", see below.  However, I seem to recall something about a restriction like having a certain number of replies (10?) before you can create a topic.

TT.JPG.7300c61fc9f0de72ca1109e78f625201.

6 hours ago, LeonG said:

If you are in a theme like here in Miscellaneous, you'd see a button saying "Start new topic", see below.  However, I seem to recall something about a restriction like having a certain number of replies (10?) before you can create a topic.

Thanks. 

I'll wait and see. 

when I was 19, just came back from a year in California, I thought I'd die if I couldn't live in the US. Surprisingly I survived.

When I was 29, just back from a motorcycle tour to Spain, I thought the only country where I could see myself retiring would be Spain. Looks like I'll be retiring in Germany.

When I was 49, I moved to Indiana with my husband - I thought we'd give it 5 years, so he can be there for his young daughter. Thirteen years later we reluctantly gave up our spacious home, two wonderful jobs, and a whole bunch of other "important" things, so that I can take care of my elderly parents.

I thought I could never feel OK again with crowded, expensive, overly bureaucratic Germany - and we would surely go back to the US, once my parents pass away.

Now, not even two years later, we bought a house that we both love and can afford, in an area that isn't crowded at all, and we successfully navigated German bureaucracy. We'll stay (for now) whether my parents are alive, or not.

Goes to show: it doesn't matter where you live - it matters how you live, and with whom.

19 hours ago, LeonG said:

I still can't create topics, I'll try in my laptop, maybe it's just a browser thing. 

10 hours ago, karin_brenig said:

Goes to show: it doesn't matter where you live - it matters how you live, and with whom.

My heart agrees! My childhood was a move every 2-2/12 years courtesy of military family. New friends, new schools. Then later- moves for work - different countries, friends, customs.  Hold your family and friends close.

I’m ten years in to a 6 week trip. I’m at the point where I would probably leave if I had anywhere else to go. Berlin is so transient that almost all the friends I made here are no longer here; I have to essentially ‘start over’ for the 4th time and I’m sick of it. My relationship did not survive lockdown and don’t get me started on dating in Berlin, especially in your 30s. I miss the food and friendliness of the UK, but I never wanted to live in London (which is one major reason I stayed) but realistically I would have to live there for my industry. Plus if I left and wanted to return, I literally couldn’t afford it given the massive hike in rent since I moved here. So I’m pretty stuck.

14 minutes ago, evildudette said:

So I’m pretty stuck.

Yes, me too!

Came here to be with the guy I fell in love with, he left me, we got divorced, I brought up our daughter, who is now a student, and I feel sort of left behind.

The one thing that kept me going over the years was my job - I used to love it, but now I don´t feel appreciated at all when I am there, but have nowhere else to go - "at my age", as my boss would say!

But doesn't everyone get a bit "stuck"  at times and wonder where their life is going?  Especially after a partner leaves, or dies, or when children leave home.  These are big changes in life and they do make us think about the next steps.

I felt some "empty nest" syndrome when my last child left home, but I got over it and found other interests.  Now, I'm waiting for grandchildren (no pressure!) and I'm looking forward to that, if and when it happens.  We need to be proactive, either accept this is where we are and make the best of it, or change something and hope it makes us happier or more content.

11 minutes ago, Tap said:

But doesn't everyone get a bit "stuck"  at times and wonder where their life is going?  Especially after a partner leaves, or dies, or when children leave home.  These are big changes in life and they do make us think about the next steps.

I felt some "empty nest" syndrome when my last child left home, but I got over it and found other interests.  Now, I'm waiting for grandchildren (no pressure!) and I'm looking forward to that, if and when it happens.  We need to be proactive, either accept this is where we are and make the best of it, or change something and hope it makes us happier or more content.

A friend back in the UK said he was feeling stuck at the moment. He has a really good job, happily married, has just paid off his house, kids are out and off in the world.

He said that all the goals he learned when we were young have been done. He said he feels like he is just looking at an open field with nothing to work towards. He's 54 and grandkids look like being a good few years away. He feels stuck in his lane.

He's aware it's winge form a very good position but I can understand what he's saying. 

38 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

A friend back in the UK said he was feeling stuck at the moment. He has a really good job, happily married, has just paid off his house, kids are out and off in the world.

He said that all the goals he learned when we were young have been done. He said he feels like he is just looking at an open field with nothing to work towards. He's 54 and grandkids look like being a good few years away. He feels stuck in his lane.

He's aware it's winge form a very good position but I can understand what he's saying. 

It's called the mid life crisis or male menopause.

What about payback time by helping out at the Tafel / Food Banks or some such volunteer service.

He'll feel good about putting something back into society.

Or pack it all in and change - I jacked in the techy job and instead deliver sailboats worldwide these days....

47 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

It's not now a new problem, John Buchan wrote about this in 1925.

I recommend reading "John Mcnab", that's his highly entertaining novel about just this problem and a possible solution to it ;)

£3.99 on Amazon.co.uk: https://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Macnab-Authorised-Buchan/dp/1846970288/

60b898a1e9b13_5186rUAHpUL._SX324_BO12042

6.94€ on Amazon.de: https://www.amazon.de/John-Macnab-Buchan/dp/1985617765/

60b898fb52379_41CShzwEGTL._SX331_BO12042

I always thought (have never looked it up mind) that the whole mid life crisis was about getting older and wanting to be young again. You know, buy a sports car, start trying to dress like a 20 year old, tart going to trendy clubs again..

I intend to live out any mid life crisis I have as far away from trendy bars and clubs as I can and I doubt i'd suddenly be able to dress fashionably now having not managed it in the past.

14 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

I intend to live out any mid life crisis I have as far away from trendy bars and clubs as I can and I doubt i'd suddenly be able to dress fashionably now having not managed it in the past.

I agree with you on all of that (you didn't comment on the sports car thing).

Never had the urge to have a sports car or motor bike.  Quite boring really.  Oh - I do own a pretty good glider/sailplane!  If only the weather...

13 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

I always thought (have never looked it up mind) that the whole mid life crisis was about getting older and wanting to be young again. You know, buy a sports car, start trying to dress like a 20 year old, tart going to trendy clubs again..

It's not just the sports car or trying to look like a 20 year old.  It's something different for everyone as they realise they're getting older. Some people cope well with it, others, not so much

1 minute ago, HEM said:

I'll sign up to all of that (you didn't comment on the sports car thing).

Never had the urge to have a sports car or motor bike.  Quite boring really.  Oh - I do own a pretty good glider/sailplane!  If only the weather...

Can't see me getting a sports car. I'm more one for something a little higher that I don't have to climb out of :lol: