Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Songs that remind you of your time in Germany

23 posts in this topic

The song that always reminds me of my early days in Frankfurt is Phil Collins, In the Air tonight.  Myself and my best friend were staying in the middle of Frankfurt. It was summer, so we had the windows open wide all night.  Coming from Ireland, we weren’t used to the heat.  There was a set of traffic lights just outside our bedroom and at night, lots of cars had that song playing loudly, waiting for the lights to change.  It was so exciting; I loved it and I still do. I feel that song has accompanied me through the years, and I can still hear it being played by oldies like me 😊

3 hours ago, Tap said:

The song that always reminds me of my early days in Frankfurt is Phil Collins, In the Air tonight.  Myself and my best friend were staying in the middle of Frankfurt. It was summer, so we had the windows open wide all night.  Coming from Ireland, we weren’t used to the heat.  There was a set of traffic lights just outside our bedroom and at night, lots of cars had that song playing loudly, waiting for the lights to change.  It was so exciting; I loved it and I still do. I feel that song has accompanied me through the years, and I can still hear it being played by oldies like me 😊

Each to their own - so please don't take this personally, @Tap - but I really can't stand Phil Collins and In the Air Tonight in particular!! <_<

According to Wikipedia, at Live Aid Pete Townsend apparently asked Collins "'Are you going to do that fucking song again?" :P

Now the song I remember from that year, when I was living in Hamburg and working as a Praktikant at Hapag-Lloyd on the Ballindamm. Fairly silly, but kind of catchy...

Correction - it was actually released a year later, by which time I was back in the UK...whatever!

“1973” by James Blunt and anything by K.T. Tunstall, but especially “Suddenly, I See.”  Both were popular when we moved to Stuttgart the first time in 2007.