Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Songs that remind you of your time in Germany

23 posts in this topic

You know when you listen to a piece of music, or a song, at a certain time in your life and it perfectly captures that instant - your mood, the place you were in at the time, how you were feeling - and whenever you hear it now, it immediately takes you back to that bittersweet moment? I was wondering if any of the Expats here in Germany have a particular song that sums up their feelings about being here now, or how they felt at the time of moving abroad that captures that moment and reminds them of it whenever they hear it??

What are the songs or tunes that remind you of either Germany as a whole or your time there? They don't have to be German per se.

Über sieben Brücke musst du gehn.

A song for everyone, everywhere.

I also sang it a cappella in a five part harmony group in a local concert. The audience started joining in en masse, it is such a beloved song. Wonderful experience!

https://youtu.be/JBb_A2GkD8M

I like many German-made songs, esp. from the 80s like the ones by Nena, Sandra, the Bruttosozialprodukt song etc. I watched a lot of German TV as a child in the 90s, but strangely I don't remember much in terms of songs or music videos. I guess I didn't miss much as ppl say German pop music was better in the 1960s-1980s. Later, in the 2000s, I saw Berlin in the Depeche Mode's "Everything Counts" video but it's still from the 80s. Btw does anyone know the name of that street with the viaduct? And the modern-looking business buildings? Online they just mention the lake and the hand sculpture in front of a high school.

A song doesn't need to be from/about a place or have it in the music video to remind you of a place and time. I still get back in Bratislava mentally when I hear "Rip It Up" by Orange Juice. The music video & the band have no connection to Slovakia whatsoever. It's the song I listened to the most while I lived there! ;) It's slow and lax, perfect for a summer stroll in such a small-town-feel capital. "Night Fever" by the Bee Gees also totally matched the vibe when travelling with a public bus on three of bridges over the Danube.

I don't miss any song I listened to while living in Prague (I visited Dresden at that time, fist time in Germany). Words by Missing Persons put me in a bad mood for some reason. Maybe I listened to that still in Dresden or maybe not, I think I enjoyed it without any music. It seemed very quiet and almost deserted, even in the city centre. More quiet on a weekend than Bratislava, despite having a larger population. I think "Rip It Up" and "Night Fever" are some of the best songs for travelling or walking in a new city on lazy summer days/evenings as they almost work even now in my home city of 1 million.

Absolutely great music for running or working out in the sunshine and fresh air... 

Du! Peter Maffay! 1970! Spent a year in Bonn as an 18 year old and had my first proper girlfriend! 😂❤️ Disco, hot pants, no money, no internet.. smooching in the back of a friend’s car while he and his girlfriend were, too!😂
https://youtu.be/YOyShB4AySs

Schlaeger! Is there anything like that in the UK? Just been enjoying free music from the neighbours, something about flying to the sun and the moon

2 hours ago, john g. said:

Du! Peter Maffay! 1970! Spent a year in Bonn as an 18 year old and had my first proper girlfriend! 😂❤️ Disco, hot pants, no money, no internet.. smooching in the back of a friend’s car while he and his girlfriend were, too!

Did you actually have money in the 1970s at all 🤑?

No! I had only charm and good looks!😂

( Both long gone!😂)

Luke: Edit:

hot pants, babe! Money was non- existent but Renate in her hot pants! Blimey, I think that was her name!❤️

It was always am ambition of mine to drive down an Autobahn with the Kraftwerk track of the same name playing. That's certainly a box ticked.

U2's Achtung Baby album also makes me think of Germany, not because of the album name but the photos inside were taking in Germany from what I can remember.

On 13/05/2021, 18:43:06, bytex said:

I like many German-made songs, esp. from the 80s like the ones by Nena, Sandra, the Bruttosozialprodukt song etc.

I would guess that outside of Germany, Sandra is probably better known for being "The voice of Enigma", rather than her solo career.

Interestingly, a lot of her solo work was produced by the producer who would go on to form Enigma.

Actually over here behind the iron curtain she was known as part of Arabesque. :) Is it me or their Take Me Don't Break me sounds like The Walk of Life by Dire Straits?

I don't know why some songs, videos or bands made me assume they must be German like Queen in I want to break free. The video is obviously filmed in Leeds and yet I was like they must be German.

For Elton John I have an excuse - his Still Standing music video was filmed in France (yes, I though he was French as a kid, why would a Brit video feature the French flag so prominently?!). Same for Ford cars being German brand - Euro Fords are actually really mostly designed in Cologne and Continental Euro ones have always been.

This is hard for me to say as I've been in Germany for a long time, and have a German wife and children. The popular music scene in this country is really third-rate.With some notable exceptions like Grunemeyer and maybe the Toten Hosen who have a little charisma,, there is nobody who can compare to the Western singers and musical artists. The rubbish that I hear the teenies listening to in the parks is just noise. Not music.

Sad for a country which produced so many classical composers.

I guess for me one song is "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", which often played on the radio in Bavaria, and a Brit  friend used to complain that they played a "Christmas song" wrong time of the year:wacko:.  Then I learned that " the Wizard of Oz" used to be shown on telly at Christmas time in Britain.:)

Every time I hear these I'm reminded of lying in bed in my apartment listening to Radio Energy that I had as my alarm clock.  Why they played The Bad Touch at that time in the morning is beyond me...

Oh, and anything by Rammstein of course.  I learned a fair bit of my German from listening to them; unfortunately not the vocabulary that was of any use in daily life.

It's strange to imagine now but in the 70s and 80s German pop could make it in charts abroad:

"Fly, Robin, Fly" is a song by German disco group Silver Convention from their debut studio album Save Me (1975). It peaked at number one on the United States Billboard Hot 100. Nena's 99 Luftballons peacked at number 2 on the US Billboard chart. The original of Irgendwie... is actually by Nena:

NENA | Irgendwie · Irgendwo · Irgendwann [Offizielles Musikvideo] (1984) - YouTube

Also the European-wide popular 70s Spanish duo Baccara's biggest hits were produced by a German, called Rolf Soja. And there were quite a lot of German produced bands popular in Eastern Europe like Modern Talking and Arabesque (fronted by Sandra). Wasn't  Donna Sommer based in Munich when she started her singing career as well?
German music's downfall is surprising, esp. compared to how Sweden has been the driving force behind some British and US hits.