Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where to find pig intestine

16 posts in this topic

The title is pretty self explanatory, the missus want to cook something from her home country that apparently requires pork intestine. We have checked a number of butcher shops and the only place we found was one Chinese shop in Bonn but almost every package was open so I did not allow her to buy any meat that was not properly stored.  

Does anyone know is there a shop that will sell us this either fresh or frozen but properly packed in Cologne / Bonn area??

23 minutes ago, Anto P said:

The title is pretty self explanatory, the missus want to cook something from her home country that apparently requires pork intestine.

Any particular bit?  Find out the German name for the particular bit, then ask your nearest real butcher.  We have butchers round here with pork from small farms that grow their own fodder and slaughter is onsite.  One farm here has a list up where you can order the bit of the piggy that you want, and then when all bits are taken, piggy is gone.  Happy looking pigs though.  Outside access and well cared for up until that point.

Pork intestine would be Schweinedarm which is traditionally used to make sausages (for the outside, not the content). But that stuff comes in dried and not fresh, so you might have to be a bit more specific.

On this subject, I am really pining for pork pies, preferably Milton Bowbrey.(sp)? My sources have dried up since Brexit.

Any ideas please?

2 minutes ago, black1 said:

Why not simply go to Broken English  https://brokenenglish.de or order from Michelles  Michelle's Specialities (greatbritishfood.de)

By the way you are posting in NRW when you live in Berlin, different state.

Pork bones, pork shoulder, pork belly, pig trotters and lard are all common stuff here.  Even bacon (the recipe is only needs a tiny bit, so any German raw schinken will be a fine substitute). Michelles is good, but has none of these things.  Unless you mean the Picallii suggested as a side.

18 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Pork bones, pork shoulder, pork belly, pig trotters and lard are all common stuff here

All common stuff? Not where we go shopping at NETTO or EDEKA or Kaufland, When you come to Berlin, you can go shopping with me.

2 minutes ago, Acton said:

All common stuff? Not where we go shopping at NETTO or EDEKA or Kaufland, When you come to Berlin, you can go shopping with me.

At a butcher?  Do you not have butchers in Berlin?  Plenty here.  Use them or lose them btw. 

32 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Do you not have butchers in Berlin? 

Not really.

32 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Plenty here.  Use them or lose them btw. 

Already lost most of them. 

I have easily found fresh pig and sheep sausage casings at the Metro, if that helps.