Not paying GEZ fees

87 posts in this topic

I am not paying and they are sending mails since more than 1-2 years :) 

Will they eventually forward this to inkasso or will they sue me if I will not pay it ?

Three things are certain: death, taxes and Staatsfunkgebuehren, sadly. But it is the only tax I pay unwillingly, the German tax regime is not so bad.

The charge has not gone up for some years, but the take has gone up, hundreds of thousands of new 'customers' have been unearthed.

I would not mind paying it if there were a couple of decent radio stations, like radio 4 + 3 uk used to be.

Ahh, the social contract! It insists always that we pay for the benefits of living in a civil society.  It's not really a hard (or new) concept.

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

yes

I was just curious if there are people on this forum who was sued by them?

because I guess so many people not paying GEZ that it will be impossible or very expensive for them to sue everyone

You don't get sued, they just block your bank account until you pay them what you owe.

It's been described in many threads on this forum.

But I'm sure they'll make an exception for you...

Well, even if there are lawyers involved, the fact is that in Germany the loser pays on nearly every type of case, so it is a net nothing loss to the government to use layers.

"I would not mind paying it if there were a couple of decent radio stations, like radio 4 + 3 uk used to be."

I find the various 'Klassik' stations pretty good. RBB's Kulturradio is excellent, their presenters knowledgeable and cover a wide range of tastes and themes, not just the background classical potboilers. The satellite TV offers access to radio stations all over Europe. On the telly I like many of the offerings on Arte and 3Sat. And for light entertainment I just look out for things I enjoy from the various channels. 

I can pick up the Beeb's World Service on my car radio in certain locations and always from the telly.

I haven't found the wonderful R4 equivalent but can access it on the internet. "Just a Minute" is still happily going strong!!

54 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

You don't get sued, they just block your bank account until you pay them what you owe.

Incl. additional fees (admin, incasso, interest, etc.): it adds up. 

Before 2013 you could stay under the radar, but then they checked the Anmeldungen in every municipality. The "revenues" increased a lot since 2013 to more than €8 billion yearly.

11 hours ago, alien7 said:

Will they eventually forward this to inkasso or will they sue me if I will not pay it ?

Probably, but they don't use a consistent approach. They do fight tooth and nail for that money.

I haven't paid for donkey's years and I've received a myriad of letters, had my account frozen twice, and the bailiff has come to my house four times since.

The last time the bailiff was in my home I refused to pay him (as I always do) and a couple of days later he sent me the usual letter announcing he was going to impound my bank account again. Curiously, that never happened; no idea why. This was about two years ago. I then got two or three more letters from them, the content of which I ignore, as I just sent them back as refused. I also got two letters from Creditreform (Inkasso?), which I also sent back unopened. Then silence for many months.

I recently got a roommate and that triggered the GEZ people into action again. He told them he's living with me and gave them my membership number. They then wrote to him that since I wasn't paying they were making him responsible for the dues at this address. They also wrote to me to tell me the same thing, and that they were "unsubscribing" me. "Wir haben Ihr Beitragskonto abgemeldet."

6 minutes ago, Smaug said:

I haven't paid for donkey's years and I've received a myriad of letters, had my account frozen twice, and the bailiff has come to my house four times since.

Wouldn't it have been cbeaper to pay your fees rather than the bailiff?

56 minutes ago, jeba said:

Wouldn't it have been cbeaper to pay your fees rather than the bailiff?

1 hour ago, Smaug said:

The last time the bailiff was in my home I refused to pay him

The saga continues.

19 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

The saga continues.

For me it's over, Fraufruit. They wrote:

"Wir haben Ihr Beitragskonto abgemeldet."

11 minutes ago, Smaug said:

You won, they lost. The Force must be strong in your family.

Absolutely.

1 hour ago, Smaug said:

they were "unsubscribing" me.

Not by means that most people could use, but hey. You did it. 

The room mate doesn't get stung for the debt from the past does he? That would be a bit piquing.

Struggling a bit with Alex Tr's assertion that German TV is a benefit of civil society. A lot of it is quite crap. 

47 minutes ago, Smaug said:

Which is something I don´t understand. But that wasn´t my point. I was wondering how much it had cost you to get to that point. Who paid the bailiff in the past and who will pay for his last visit? When I once sent a bailiff to a tenant who hadn´t paid the bailiff confiscated the cash in his wallet. Did the bailiffs in your case help themselves to your money when they blocked your bank account?

4 hours ago, razorsandroses said:

DO NOT FUCK WITH GERMAN AUTHORITIES WHEN IT COMES TO MONEY!

I think you might have missed the bit where 

7 hours ago, Smaug said:

There has been a winner.

Let us savour that moment. 

Maybe @alien7 could get a roommate too? Unusual lengths to go to for the avoidance of a 20€ tax, but hey.