MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011) - 750 GB

11 posts in this topic

As I have inherited a newer MacBook Pro, I am selling my former MacBook Pro bought in 2011 for 500 VB. It's still a robust machine, and as a software engineer, I can vouch for its enduring quality over the years. The laptop will be sold with its hard drive erased and a fresh macOS installed so its future owner can customize as needed, i.e. country, language, etc.

The original cost of this MacBook Pro was $2,199 (USD): https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.4-15-late-2011-unibody-thunderbolt-specs.html Additionally, I just bought a new charger in May 2021 for 71,99€ (see invoice in photos). Finally, the freshly-washed neoprene laptop case is included which originally cost $25 (USD): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015YMWYW/ref=pe_175190_21431760_C1_cs_sce_dp_1. Therefore, original value of bundle is approximately 1900€.

In terms of its physical condition, the MacBook is in good, but used condition. The top-side of the laptop, the screen, and the keyboard are in very good condition still. See the photos for signs of slight damage on the bottom-side of the laptop: one missing screw, one missing foot (does not affect balance of laptop), and some scratches.

I am happy to provide further technical specifications besides the ones listed below on request. Additionally, upon request I can provide the serial number so you can verify the specs on this website: https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

##### Specifications

# Keyboard - US QWERTY

# Battery
Battery condition: Normal: The battery is functioning normally. (https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/check-the-condition-of-your-computers-battery-mh20865/mac)
Battery cycle count: 547 (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201585)

As an informal check, I let the laptop run on battery while keeping a ten-hour long YouTube video running at about 60% screen brightness. The battery lasted for slightly more than six hours in this experiment.

# System Report
macOS High Sierra
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011)
Processor: 2,4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

An in-person pickup is preferred, but I am willing to send the laptop if the buyer takes over the costs of an insured delivery with tracking. As this is a private sale, there is no option to return the laptop and no warranty.

For photos, see the eBay listing: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/macbook-pro-15-inch-late-2011-750-gb/1759408329-278-6426

Half that price is the market price.  Good luck finding someone financing your new Macbook M1.

13 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Half that price is the market price.  Good luck finding someone financing your new Macbook M1.

Correct. Current value of system offered above is 50 - 100 Euros max.

In fact, I'll take for 50, but I don't think the seller is interested.

Well, then current price in eBay Kleinanzeigen is 250-350 EUR.   50 EUR would be pretty unfair.

I've actually been given these for free. Just my two cents, carry on.

On 5/12/2021, 5:30:57, curlew8 said:

I agree with others that it is way too expensive as-is. It is a 10 year old laptop now. I'd upgrade it and donate it to some kind of charity. Reap the karma and call it a day.

A lot of the similar offers on eBay (I scrolled through) are also, I think, laughably optimistic. Only a sucker would pay what you are asking, sorry.

What I would do:

• Mandatory battery replacement. A cycle count past 500 is ancient, even if the system report says 'normal'. Sorry, I think it is bad faith to sell such an aging battery at the price you want. 
  • Mandatory upgrade to 16GB RAM (double check, but a 2011 should handle it).
  • Mandatory upgrade to 1TB SSD (I'd recommend an OWC drive, but opinions vary.)

These necessary upgrades might cost you ca. 400€ depending what things costs these days, and if you spend on decent quality (as you should! Avoid any random Amazon Chinese seller's parts). 

I've done all these upgrades myself in the past. Battery and RAM upgrade is a no-brainer,; physically replacing the drive requires some careful steps and patience, but is not too hard if you have ever opened a computer before. If you are a software engineer I assume you have some hardware capablity and a set of tiny laptop screwdrivers somewhere. You will also likely need to replace the Macbook's hard drive (SATA) cable as the older cables have very unreliable compatabiilty with newer SSDs (you won't even be able to format the SSD properly in the first place). That is also a careful bit of work, but not too complex, and there are walk-throughs online. Of course, you can always pay someone to do all these...  

After all that, a fully upgraded machine might let you break even if you find a bite at 500€. 

Just my 2 cents.

In my company, a laptop is fully depreciated in 3-4 years. Nowadays, we lease them for ca. €20-25 per month. 

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

In my company, a laptop is fully depreciated in 3-4 years. Nowadays, we lease them for ca. €20-25 per month. 

You are comparing oranges with apples (bad pun intended).   Macbooks keep their value much longer than a business HP/Dell computer.  And actually the one posted here even being that old it is still totally usable for browsing, Office, etc, specially with an SSD upgrade (45  EUR).

The asking price is still too high and here it is probably not the best place to sell it.  Put it in eBay Kleinanzeigen for 300 EUR.

Fair enough!  As for the price, I was mostly taking cues from similar laptops listed on eBay Kleinanzeigen-- it is not my intention to scam anyone. :)  The price was always listed as negotiable, so I am happy to work out a fair price with anyone who is interested.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

You are comparing oranges with apples (bad pun intended).   Macbooks keep their value much longer than a business HP/Dell computer. 

I should mention that I meant from an accounting perspective. Laptops, monitors, printers, etc. are depreciated in 3 years. The brand is unimportant. The technical depreciation can be different, but in IT the equipment is outdated rather quickly as well.