Affordable cities between Möhringen, Karlsruhe and Stuttgart

6 posts in this topic

Hello! New here!!

We are an Indian couple (and cat) looking for an affordable place to put down roots somewhere between Karlsruhe, Stuttgart and Möhringen.

My husband's potential job is near Möhringen and I'd like to work or do a PhD in either Karlsruhe or Stuttgart, depending on where I get in. A place between all three cities would ensure we could change jobs in the future without having to move.

My husband has been in Germany for nearly 10 years and I've been here for 3. We are thinking about expanding our family soonish so we'd like a place that's friendly, has all the necessities without having to traipse into the nearest metro and potentially has a bilingual Kita or two.were also looking to expand our friends circle :)

Pforzheim is a frontrunner but any other city you could suggest would be great!

Hi,

Do you mean the Möhringen that is directly adjacent to Stuttgart?  If you're considering commuting from Pforzheim to there, just know you're setting your husband up for a world of pain.  Traffic in the region is a serious pain in the rear end, so for your quality of life you should be as close to work as possible.  If your husband works in Möhringen, and you could work/study in Stuttgart, then live in Möhringen, or somewhere on the U- or S-Bahn net so you can leave your car at home most days.

Stuttgart (and Möhringen) is not affordable, but you have to weigh the time, vehicle and especially health costs against higher rents - it really does make more sense to be closer in.  Stuttgart is fine, not particularly friendly or beautiful, but way nicer than Pforzheim, which is super ugly.  Putting down roots in Schwabenland takes time - a LOT of time.  My guess is that it's easier in Stuttgart than in smaller centres due to the more cosmopolitan nature of the place.  

As far as bilingual Kitas go - that isn't really a huge deal, a nice to have, not a deal-breaker.  We dropped our kids with minimal German into the local Kindergarten - at that age they pick up language super fast, and there were no troubles.  If you're looking to stay here, your kids should be immersed in the language from the beginning.  Send them to the closest kindergarten to where you live, so you can walk them over.  This is a big deal - their friends should be local so you can easily make play dates, otherwise you're committing to be taxi-mom for essentially ever.

So - the slogan is:  Friends don't let friends commute!  Commuting is stupid, avoid if possible.

I second this advice.  Traffic near STAUgart is absolutely nightmarish.  Pforzheim gets pretty backed up, too.  I recommend finding a place as close to your husband’s work as possible.

Thank you so much for your advice guys! We will definitely keep it in mind. Apparently my husband will be working closer to Stuttgart rather than Möhringen, so it's just a case of finding a place in Stuttgart now. Hopefully, I make it into Stuttgart's University rather than Karlsruhe's. 

On 19/05/2021, 19:56:53, splogkins said:

Thank you so much for your advice guys! We will definitely keep it in mind. Apparently my husband will be working closer to Stuttgart rather than Möhringen, so it's just a case of finding a place in Stuttgart now. Hopefully, I make it into Stuttgart's University rather than Karlsruhe's. 

Good luck with everything.  Even if you do get into Karlsruhe, it's better one partner commutes for a while rather than both forever.  Besides, there are regular train connections between Stuttgart and Karlsruhe, way faster, cheaper and less stressful than driving.