Friendly divorce: what do I need and what is the cost?

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

this is another post regarding my divorce saga. So my soon to be husband and I, after having been separated for the past 3 years (but still living together under the same roof) have decided to divorce on very good terms. That means that I will leave him all assets, we will share custody of our young son and I want no financial support from him.

My question is how I go about filing for divorce? Do I still need a lawyer? Do I still need to pay for the lawyer just as much as I would pay in the event of a dispute? Can I file for divorce right away considering that we have no longer been together for the last 3 years (a fact that my hubby can attest to)? How do I go about doing this?

Regards,

Anna

44 minutes ago, Ana1984 said:

That means that I will leave him all assets,

Why would you do that?

33 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Why would you do that?

Because making him happy means him cooperating and having the easiest divorce. Pus, we don;t have valuable things or property, just small stuff.

Go to a family lawyer together and tell him/her you want them to file for divorce.  In the States, the lawyer can only represent one party, but if there is no contention, the divorce is a legal transaction filed with the courts.  Make sure you have all the details in order regarding your son...visitation, child support as that will be the main legal concern.  Read this:

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/390264-i-need-a-divorce-lawyer-what-criteria-should-i-use-to-pick-one/#comment-3880833

I understand it gets ugly when you get the lawyers involved and they tell you what you stand to lose. The outcome and cost can be different depending which country you file for divorce in. Doesn't necessarily have to be Germany. Good luck.

THe situation may start out as friendly and  both giving way on assets. But , things can turn nasty. When a child is involved it may be wise to have a lawyer help draw up an official separation/ divorce settlement.

Having said this, my brother's divorce calmed down a lot after they stopped mediating and involved a lawyer, because as Karin points out, you need at least one and so might as well involve one from the beginning. They have three children and there are no issues wrt the children. Not *every* divorce has to turn into a total shit show, so it's worth trying. I think Ana's approach of "don't seat the small stuff" is a good first step and if she has a job that pays the same or more as her husband (it does happen), then apart from child maintenance which should always be independent (if any one party thinks they don't need it, put it in a savings account and give it to the child when it turns 18, just don't argue you don't want it) there is no point in discussing maintenance.

2 hours ago, Marianne013 said:

if any one party thinks they don't need it, put it in a savings account and give it to the child when it turns 18

I would recommend the age 30. I have seen 18 yr. old's get their hands on money before personally.