Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mutterschutz & Elterngeld for mixed-income mother

4 posts in this topic

Hi everybody, I have some questions about Mutterschutz & Elterngeld (I know it has been asked a thousand time! :P) I have already searched in TT, but seems that it is not exactly the situation I am in, so I'd be grateful if someone could help.

I've been freelancing for years, enrolled in TK.  
Since last month, I am employed by a company as a full-time employee. The salary is quite low, so I also take on some freelance jobs on the side to help. In short, I have mixed income.

Now that I'm pregnant (due in November), I'm trying to understand how much Mutterschutz & Elterngeld I will receive. My questions are:

1. Mutterschutz: From what I know, 100% of the salary of my full-time job will be covered. But would my average freelancing income be covered as well? If yes, how does it work?  If no, I feel that it is not very "fair", as my full-time job only reflects a part of my living.

2. Elterngeld: Similar question. Does the 67% Elterngeld covers both the salary of my full-time job and my freelancing incomes?

3. Working part time during Elternzeit: I've read that one can work a max of 30 hours during Elternzeit, but the Elterngeld received would be adjusted and lower. Is there a rough percentage to calculate how much Eltergeld would be reduced if one works? E.g. if I work part-time during Elternzeit and invoice approximately 400€ per month. How much Elterngeld would be reduced? It wouldn't make sense to work if I make 400€ but then the Elterngeld is reduced largely... :blink:

Thanks so much for your help. Look forward to hearing your advice.

On 06/05/2021, 19:09:21, Dorirsita said:

1. Mutterschutz: From what I know, 100% of the salary of my full-time job will be covered. But would my average freelancing income be covered as well? If yes, how does it work?  If no, I feel that it is not very "fair", as my full-time job only reflects a part of my living.

Check the following link if your freelance work is covered or not. 

https://www.finanztip.de/krankenversicherung/mutterschaftsgeld/

In your mixed case, it could be tricky as tk will cover only small part. 

2. Elterngeld: Similar question. Does the 67% Elterngeld covers both the salary of my full-time job and my freelancing incomes?

In my opinion it should cover both the income. It will be calculated as 67% of your income averaged over the past 12 months. 

3. Working part time during Elternzeit: I've read that one can work a max of 30 hours during Elternzeit, but the Elterngeld received would be adjusted and lower. Is there a rough percentage to calculate how much Eltergeld would be reduced if one works? E.g. if I work part-time during Elternzeit and invoice approximately 400€ per month. How much Elterngeld would be reduced? It wouldn't make sense to work if I make 400€ but then the Elterngeld is reduced largely... :blink:

Thanks so much for your help. Look forward to hearing your advice.

The reduction depends upon how much you earned before and how much you will be earning in Eltern Zeit. So in short they will see how much your salary reduced and will pay 67% of the reduction. 

https://familienportal.de/familienportal/familienleistungen/elterngeld/arbeitssituation/darf-ich-teilzeit-arbeiten-waehrend-ich-elterngeld-beziehe--124622

If I am not mistaken, Elterngeld still covers 67% UP TO A MAX OF 1800€. 

Not sure about Elterngeld plus, but the above might not have been clear.