Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Short-term apartment rent

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am going to relocate to Berlin together with my family. We don't know anybody in town and before we actually find a place we'd like to rent, we'll need to have a short-term accommodation. I suppose that the short-term rental would be for at least 1 month and if we are not successful, then possibly longer. We have 2 little children (aged 1 and 4). I found a website called wunderflats that seems to specialize in short-term lettings. Would you please be able to suggest where else can I search?

We don't need anything very central and would be especially happy to explore Falkensee and the area around.

15 hours ago, cb6dba said:

https://www.immobilienscout24.de/ is a good place to start.

I am aware of the site, but it doesn't seem to offer short-term rental. We are not in Germany yet and I can't and don't want to sign a long-term contract without visiting the property first. Hence the initial search for temporary accommodation.

33 minutes ago, WallE said:

I am aware of the site, but it doesn't seem to offer short-term rental. We are not in Germany yet and I can't and don't want to sign a long-term contract without visiting the property first. Hence the initial search for temporary accommodation.

Feierabend posted my answer to the short term rent search but I'd also suggest you check immoscout now to see how the property situation is in the area you want to eventually live in. Having a sense of the price to flat can save you a bit of time. If you know flats cost roughly a given value and then one comes up that is way cheaper, you will know there is something causing that price drop. 

I can only speak from personal experience but finding a place you you want (as compared to being ok with) to live can take a long time and the competition is huge in some places.

To me, living somewhere temporary would mean 6 months at least, maybe even 12 depending on what you are after. The last to places we have lived we only got as we were the first people to look and we took the place right away. I think that appealed to the agents sense of 'why invest more time on this'. 

I've been to viewings where there have been 8 parties looking around the flat with us and when we have moved I think we must have shown around 40 (each time). Granted, not all are really interested, some are just starting to look so they are fixed on that perfect flat etc but the competition can still be high (although dependent on flat size, rooms, balcony, is it directly on the street, the price etc).

Good luck.

I agree fully with last post. It could take much longer than you plan to find a appropriate place. Also depends on price range and also your potentila salary etc. Being new you have limited salary history credit record etc. When we came ithink the relocation agent said wunderflats was ok. Be very careful on a cery short term rental that you can extend it and the terms to do that. You coukd find yourself needing to stay and the unit is already booked in the future. If you contact coming home they would help you search for you criteria. We did 3  months, with a 30 day notice to extend.they were quite helpful. Good luck

Thank you guys, especially @cb6dba - I completely missed the 'Wohnen auf Zeit' option on immobilienscout24.

I understand all the arguments above regarding competition for flats etc. - I have indeed read that many times. Given the fact that we're not in Germany yet, I don't know what else to do other than first rent from wunderflats or similar and then look for a place with longer contract. Would you recommend a different strategy? Do you know if it is at all possible to rent a 'Wohnen auf Zeit' from abroad? Isn't it too risky (scam, bad quality etc.)?

If that's of any relevance: one parent already has a job in Berlin, the other will only start working once we secure Kita places for offsprings, which doesn't seem to be possible without having an address in Berlin first. 

1 minute ago, WallE said:

Given the fact that we're not in Germany yet, I don't know what else to do other than first rent from wunderflats or similar and then look for a place with longer contract. Would you recommend a different strategy?

You need to get your future employer to help you. Most landlords won't rent ( a regular unfurnished apartment) to a newly arrived foreigner who hasn't yet passed the 6 month probationary period without a guarantor. 

Do you know if it is at all possible to rent a 'Wohnen auf Zeit' from abroad? Isn't it too risky (scam, bad quality etc.)?

There are a few reputable Wohnen auf Zeit companies, they are just expensive i.e. you'll probably pay around 2,000€/month for a small furnished place. Many of these places are nicely furnished and not necessarily a good idea for families with small children. 

If that's of anyo relevance: one parent already has a job in Berlin, the other will only start working once we secure Kita places for offsprings, which doesn't seem to be possible without having an address in Berlin first. 

Considering how difficult to find both housing a Kita spots, once you find one it'll narrow down options for the other.

1 hour ago, WallE said:

Thank you guys, especially @cb6dba - I completely missed the 'Wohnen auf Zeit' option on immobilienscout24.

I understand all the arguments above regarding competition for flats etc. - I have indeed read that many times. Given the fact that we're not in Germany yet, I don't know what else to do other than first rent from wunderflats or similar and then look for a place with longer contract. Would you recommend a different strategy? Do you know if it is at all possible to rent a 'Wohnen auf Zeit' from abroad? Isn't it too risky (scam, bad quality etc.)?

If that's of any relevance: one parent already has a job in Berlin, the other will only start working once we secure Kita places for offsprings, which doesn't seem to be possible without having an address in Berlin first. 

In that case I'd say you may have to go for a three step search. 

Get a short term flat, look for something quick and ok while in there, then start looking for a place where you want to live in the medium to long term. Or you get lucky and find the medium to long term flat quickly.

The downside is each move is time and effort (possibly also cash if you have to pay a moving company and I am not sure who has ot pay any agent fees these days). 

I can't comment on if it is risky to try to rent a place while you are still abroad as I don't have any experience with that. I'd say that it is more risky then being in berlin to see the place for yourself. There have been the odd posts over the years about this kind of scam though.

If you can get a place while still abroad, again, I can't say. I could understand a landlord going for people in Germany/berlin first though.

Maybe an other TT user has more experience in getting a place while abroad. As engelschen says, maybe the employer can help. Looking at your situation from the perspective of a landlord, you have no long term working contract and you are not in the city. 

I rented a place from AgentHome (which I think is coming-home in Berlin) for 3 months. Of course 18 months later and I'm still here, partly because it was a lot more difficult than I thought to find somewhere else; partly because Corona happened but mostly because I've ended up quite liking it and all the other places I saw were crap by comparison. The downside is that it's expensive and that it's fully furnished which I didn't really want, at least not long term.

As it happened I was in Stuttgart for work a couple of weeks before moving and that's when they emailed the contract so I hand delivered it to their office. I didn't see the place properly but did take a walk up the road (wasn't really sure which building it was). But I could have done the whole thing from the UK; they just wanted a scan of my work contract and passport + money.

I think get yourself here, get settled for a few months, learn what is what, and then look properly. A lot of things become easier once you have a proper address; e.g. getting a German phone number and bank account. Landlords often want to see 3 payslips so you obviously can't do that in the first month. Then there's the whole Schufa question.

You can also try www.berlin.homecompany.de they also have many monthly leases. My relocation agent also recommended them. We tried but unit we wanted was not available and we went with coming-home. I would contact both and complete the search forms they can then help you further and they at times have listings not posted yet. They will also inform you what documents you need to send so you can get it ready. If i recall i had to send my employment contract and passport copies etc both had english speaking agents