Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Buying a car from a 3rd person (has teil I & II & car/keys but no vollmacht)

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

Found a nice car, made a ADAC contract, payed an advance, but now, before sending the rest of the money, i realized the seller has no vollmact and is nowhere in the papers.

So basically in teil I and II you have a name and this person sells the car for a friend that is not the owner in papers.

Is it legit ?

So far everything looks trustworthy:

- i have a copy of the ID of the seller(the 3rd person and he is selling the car to me, it"s his name in our contract; he receives the money),

- but this 3rd person is nowhere in the car"s papers: he is selling the car for a friend that also is not in the papers;

- the contract was signed in front of his apartment(he lives there, i checked);

- he has the papers , the keys, the car (even winter tyres);

- when he presented the car it had red plates: he said he borrowed them from a werkstatt;

- we signed the contract with a small amount as pre-payment under the condition he does a new TUV;

- he did the TUV and now is time for me to wire the whole amount.

Is it ok or .. is a scam ? From what i understood so far in Germany who has Teil I and II ( Zulassungsbescheinigung ) kind of has the car. With them he can register it etc.

Would be great if i can get a fast answer on this :)

First of all is this a private seller? Is it simply a person to person sale on a social media webpage or a more regular sale out of a car lot. It is not illegal for people in the Auto trade to sell on behalf of other people. In doing so, they conveniently excuse themselves of any legal guaratee ( 6 months) they would otherwise have to give on the vehicle that they are selling. If the Zulassung papers are legit, most probably the sale is legit, but if you are not a mechanic you would be well-advised to take someone who knows about vehicles with you before buying.  As always with buying second hand cars, you are balancing the risk with the cost. The red plates are just so that the car is not on the street without plates, you will have to book an appointment at the KVR in Westend to get regular ones ASAP if you go through with the purchase.

Obviously I am not a provider of legal advice. But I bought my own car in a similar way from a car lot in Munich, and it was fine.