Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Oktoberfest 2021 cancelled!!

24 posts in this topic

Most of it from your personal custom,  Luke?😂❤️

I usually drink 3 Mass and eat 1/2 chicken on the one evening I go there, ca. €45. No taxi needed since I live nearby :).

What happens to the other 1/2 chicken? We normally buy 2 or 3 Brathaenchen ( piping hot!)  a week ( supermarkets here have been offering that for the past year or so!) but 99 per cent of them end up in greedy cat mouths!😂.. they go crazy.. up there with tuna fish in their craziness...

From Bavarian radio news:

Munich, Rosenheim and other Bavarian cities have agreed to cancel *all* major festivities across the state this year.

Looks like more home drinking, then, Metall.

It is a sad state. People need people -fortunately , here, stuff is opening up.

We can go to restaurants now- but nothing is open in our village. But in town - and we can’t wait to go to the Italian speciality place on the coast 20 minutes from here.

Well, having said that - we hit 37C today — so everyone is lying around with no energy!😂

23 hours ago, john g. said:

What happens to the other 1/2 chicken? We normally buy 2 or 3 Brathaenchen ( piping hot!)  a week ( supermarkets here have been offering that for the past year or so!) but 99 per cent of them end up in greedy cat mouths!😂.. they go crazy.. up there with tuna fish in their craziness...

I hope you are not comparing the wonderful chicken a the Oktoberfest, to anything else

Octoberfest chicken is the best tasting I ever had, don't know why - but its good

3 hours ago, clickety6 said:

heard it was going ahed elsewhere...https://oktoberfest-dubai.com/

I heard a very interesting interview on German Radio (Deutschlandfunk):

Not a single German fun ride, food seller, or beer tent will be going to Dubai.

Looks like some of them tried going to St. Petersburg and China, and lost everything there, so they are super wary about leaving the EU.

A quote: "Getting there with all the equipment is not the problem, but coming back is! Those who tried it returned with just a suitcase."

1 hour ago, yourkeau said:

This has nothing to do with the original Oktoberfest, and Munich actually wants to patent the name worldwide. 

https://www.br.de/nachrichten/bayern/oktoberfest-bald-geschuetzte-marke-eu-veroeffentlicht-antrag,SWFV6is

Potentially dangerous move that one. Right now, every town in the world has some sort of imitation of Oktoberfest. This helps to make the name famous worldwide and creates a desire for people to go and visit the original. If everyone in the world starts ditching the name Oktoberfest and calling it something else then there is a possibility that the brandname Oktoberfest gets diluted and loses it's status.

You can have a patent, and license it for free to towns who follow your rules, and bounce business back to you.

And enforce it on countries that are trying to hijack your brand.

A patent will not be dangerous.

The Oktoberfest God has allowed hundreds of Oktoberfests around the world for decades. How could she get  a patent now and try to stop it?

Patent difficult, but perhaps UNESCO World Heritage since beer is culture 🍺👻👍.

14 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

You can have a patent, and license it for free to towns who follow your rules, and bounce business back to you.

And enforce it on countries that are trying to hijack your brand.

I'm just riffing. But it's possible everyone will just drop the name Oktoberfest because that's the easiest thing to do (no need to apply for a license), call their festivals "Beer Festival" or whatever and in 20 years time nobody outside of Munich knows or cares what an "Oktoberfest" is.

I don’t think Milwaukee, not to mention loads of other towns in the Midwest, will be changing the name.  😂

2 hours ago, theGman said:

I'm just riffing. But it's possible everyone will just drop the name Oktoberfest because that's the easiest thing to do (no need to apply for a license), call their festivals "Beer Festival" or whatever and in 20 years time nobody outside of Munich knows or cares what an "Oktoberfest" is.

Couldn't they call it 'Octoberfest'?

Maybe using the english spelling of October would be difference enough to avoid any problems with any patent.

1 hour ago, cb6dba said:

Couldn't they call it 'Octoberfest'?

Maybe using the english spelling of October would be difference enough to avoid any problems with any patent.

The answer is: no. 

Just like you can't create a new search engine company and name it Googel. Google will sue and win.