Bachelors degree recognition

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I would like to study in Germany for my masters degree. However my bachelors degree is listed as a H+/- in anabin. How bad does this effect my chances of getting acceptances into a masters degree program? Is it up to the individual universities? Does anyone have any experience with this?

On 03/05/2021, 00:39:06, nickstraub said:

I would like to study in Germany for my masters degree. However my bachelors degree is listed as a H+/- in anabin.

Is the institution rated H+/- or your major?

How bad does this effect my chances of getting acceptances into a masters degree program?

Many universities won't even consider your application. Others could offer you a conditional place with the requirement to take supplementary courses. Depending on your grades, some universities might be willing to offer you a place regardless of the H+/- status.

Is it up to the individual universities?

Universities in Germany legally have discretionary power to admit students without all the necessary formal qualifications, however, most of the larger universities with too many applicants don't bother granting exemptions. On the other hand, some of the schools in small towns with low enrollment are willing to lower the requirements to fill their classes.

Admission is up to Is it up to the individual universities / universities of applied sciences (and up to each Master's programme).

H+/-means some courses/programs may be recognized while others may not be.

If you apply for bilingual Master's programmes, contact the program director / Studiengangsleiter to clarify which of the courses can't be recognized and ask for the specific bachelor's subjects in this university that you may pass before enrollment. If it's only one or two subjects "Zulassung unter Auflagen" may apply, so you pass the missing subjects in the 1st semester before official enrollment.

Good luck!