The company indirectly refuses to reimburse travel costs for the interview.

8 posts in this topic

A month ago, I was invited to another city to have an in-house interview with a startup company. Even though the interview went well, we disagreed on the salary, and I didn't hear back from them. I sent them an email about 3 weeks ago asking for the reimbursement of my ICE train ticket, as they had promised in their invitation.

However, they have not answered my emails or even my phone calls and indirectly refused to reimburse my ticket. Well, it was a short-notice invitation, so I booked 2nd class train tickets for around 250 Euros. In fact, it's a startup and only consists of a CEO and a few other technical people. What should I do regarding this issue?

Just move on and forget it. If you do have this commitment it in writing, think about, how much trouble would it be for you to pursue the lost costs (250 EUR? Plus hotel?), and assuming you do not have legal insurance, consider that if you were to involve a lawyer (that is, if the lawyer is willing to take up the case for such a small amount of money) there will be legal fees and you'll likely get nearly nothing - you'd really be doing it out of spite. Next time, kindly ask for the company who offers to interview you to pay for your travel themselves!

6 hours ago, Brockman said:

Just move on and forget it. 

I understand your point about possible legal fees and if it is worth it or not.

But let's assume other companies with a similar mindset read your advice. They'll do a simple calculation, such as inviting 4-5 candidates for in-house interviews and doing this for 4-5 open positions within the company, as they want to build up their skill force in several areas. Again, assume a short notice travel costs each candidate about 200-300 EUR. Putting it all together, it costs 5*5*250 or around 6K EUR for the company. It may not be something that a big firm like BMW or Bosch would care about, but I guess it is considerable for a startup in its initial career path. 

So, as you indirectly advised, a not so sincere company/startup has a good chance of saving around 6k-10k in their buildup recruiting phase, especially if they guess the applicants who are foreigners or early graduates have no legal insurance to undergo the legal hassle. They just let it go if the company refuses to reimburse their travel costs.

Although your idea may work in practice, it is not right, and a company should not be allowed to do it as easily as you described.

Ok. I know you didn't say that exactly, but that's how some people would learn from it.

You could spend another 250, march right in and demand the first 250.  that would show them.  feel better?

One should ask about travel costs before the interview. If the firm refuses to pay and offers you a job, what then? Do you spend thousands of your own money moving home? Might your wages not be paid on time? Best maybe just not to trust them.

If that’s how they do business (ignoring e-mail, poor communication), you can be glad you don’t work there... I’d try one more time by calling and e-mailing, but would probably forget about it after that...

10 hours ago, Brockman said:

Just move on and forget it. If you do have this commitment it in writing, think about, how much trouble would it be for you to pursue the lost costs (250 EUR? Plus hotel?), and assuming you do not have legal insurance, consider that if you were to involve a lawyer (that is, if the lawyer is willing to take up the case for such a small amount of money) there will be legal fees and you'll likely get nearly nothing - you'd really be doing it out of spite. Next time, kindly ask for the company who offers to interview you to pay for your travel themselves!

Why throw money away? I´d set a reasonable (2 weeks are sufficient) deadline in writing (registered snail mail) and if they don´t pay I´d simply hand over the case to a lawyer. They´ll have to pay him (and if applicable other legal costs as well) on top of what they owe you. No hotel cost or further hassle.

1 hour ago, jeba said:

Why throw money away? I´d set a reasonable (2 weeks are sufficient) deadline in writing (registered snail mail) and if they don´t pay I´d simply hand over the case to a lawyer. They´ll have to pay him (and if applicable other legal costs as well) on top of what they owe you. No hotel cost or further hassle.

I think that's a more reasonable way to proceed. I may wait a couple of more weeks if they are just lazy or ignorant and then inform them about making a legal move. Also, if they care about their reputation in the market as a young company, they should do better than this.  Besides my case, I also wondered if such a negative behavior could be easily possible on a larger scale, But I guess it is not.