Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is it legal to sell a pet?

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

My female cat was pregnant. We met a friend with cats during the last months and she got pregnant.

Now we have 2 cute kittens that we can't keep. We spent money to keep for vaccination and deworming. 

Is it legal to sell them online inside Germany? 

(I know I can give them to an animal settler but I prefer to give them to a loving home and refund also my costs).

The cost would be the expenses we had till now. Of course there won't be any receipt since I am not a pet store.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Since El Jeffo has the page cited, I also wanted to add that you should also charge something. This keeps pet hoarders and those who want to use the pets for other inhumane uses (dog fighting, for example) away.

It helps to assure that the pet will go to a home where it will receive proper care. Well, it helps as much as possible as there are some sickos out there anyway. 

ETA: please get your cat fixed. 

Giving them to people you know, or to people who know people you know is usually the best way to give away pets. I'd start there.

After that, I'd go with the advice above.

thank you all for your advice, I appreciate it. I just was worried since I don't give any receipt and therefore I don't pay tax to such exchange. 

3 minutes ago, GreenParrot said:

thank you all for your advice, I appreciate it. I just was worried since I don't give any receipt and therefore I don't pay tax to such exchange. 

Well, it isn’t a business and technically you did pay tax on the vet care you received. That person is just paying you for what you paid for. But I’m not an accountant...

On 22.4.2021, 10:54:10, GreenParrot said:

The cost would be the expenses we had till now.

There is no profit involved in this exchange, therefore no income, and therefore no tax implications. 

Or at least that's what Panda said about second hand clothes on ebay, and meaning no disrespect to the cats, this seems similar.