6 months passport rule and residence permit

7 posts in this topic

Dear All,

I tried to find if a similar questions has been asked in past - but could not find anything.

One of my family member, a non-eu national has a residence permit to live in Germany. He is currently away from Germany and has been stuck in a 3rd country due to covid closures.

His passport will expire in June and the dates in the residence permit are the same as the passport expiry date. I believe for those with Visa, you need 6 months passport validity to enter EU. What is the rule for residence permit.

Can the person enter Germany with a valid residence permit and passport, even though it has just few months validity.

Ideally, we would like to apply for a new passport, when we are back in Germany as we have a residence there. Alternatively, he has to return back to the home country - which is not ideal in current circumstances.

Will be very thankful for any advice.

I´d ask the Bundespolizei. Their hotline number is 0800 6 888 000 .

AFAIK the 6 months rule is only for tourists.   I have entered once with my daughter passport under 6 months validity with no problem (5 month to be exact).

49 minutes ago, Krieg said:

AFAIK the 6 months rule is only for tourists.   I have entered once with my daughter passport under 6 months validity with no problem (5 month to be exact).

Yes, this is true. I recently entered Germany, from a visit to India, with only a little over 3 months of validity on the passport. When I was leaving Germany, the BP officer warned me that the passport is due for renewal. I have a Niderlassungserlaubnis.

Five years ago, my wife was in a similar situation as OP's family member. Her passport and Aufenthaltstitel was about to expire in two months when we returned from India. Again, no issues and not even a question at the border control.

The six month rule is to ensure visitors have a passport with enough validity left for a 90-day stay, plus another 90-day contingency. Not for residents.

On 4/20/2021, 12:19:45, beecee said:

Dear All,

I tried to find if a similar questions has been asked in past - but could not find anything.

One of my family member, a non-eu national has a residence permit to live in Germany. He is currently away from Germany and has been stuck in a 3rd country due to covid closures.

His passport will expire in June and the dates in the residence permit are the same as the passport expiry date. I believe for those with Visa, you need 6 months passport validity to enter EU. What is the rule for residence permit.

Can the person enter Germany with a valid residence permit and passport, even though it has just few months validity.

Ideally, we would like to apply for a new passport, when we are back in Germany as we have a residence there. Alternatively, he has to return back to the home country - which is not ideal in current circumstances.

Will be very thankful for any advice.

Does the expiring date on the Aufenthaltskarte is directly related to his residence permit or just the validity of his passport?

It's strange that a residence permit would be only related to an expiring date on his passport and not a date stablished by the German migration authorities...