Gekündigt! We are getting kicked out of our beautiful rental home

52 posts in this topic

Hello Adele,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your story, and I can definitely feel your pain regarding finding a new place. It took us years to find this one, which is a beautiful home. No matter what we get next, everything will be a step down from our current rental home. The market has gone up another 25% in the last 4 years, and that is also a hard pill to swallow when paying rent.

I sure hope that you find something appropriate in Köln. Is it so bad there too? I don't get why the Gemeinden don't just release some building lots so that the people can build. Everything has to stay so cramped, and the wealthy benefit.

Again, thanks for your thorough paragraphs. I will come back to read them with my wife.

Best,

yeah the market is very competitive here. We've been to viewings where the landlord/lady has said they had to take the ad down after 2 days because they received hundreds of responses. The worst is when you go to viewings and there are 30 other people there at the same time - bad enough with covid but you just know you have next to no chance of getting the flat. I don't know if it's maybe because the pandemic has made people realise they don't like their homes and want to move, but the demand is crazy.

16 minutes ago, loz_adele said:

The worst is when you go to viewings and there are 30 other people there at the same time

That's been the case in Munich for nigh on 30 years. You do have a chance if you go to enough of them and your papers are in order.

Well my papers are always in order, but sometimes I don't even get an Absage, you just hear nothing. I assume they just go to people who earn more, who knows. I'm not arrogant enough to think I'm the best candidate but it's not like we're going for luxury apartments here. When I have had a rejection I've tried asking some for the reasons in the hopes of improving my chances in future but so far no responses there either, I guess they can't be arsed with any of that. But I'll keep on going. I figure, eventually we have to be successful! Failing that I guess we might have to go live with my parents in the UK for a while, or maybe a hostel, if the worst comes to the worst. It just gets you down though after a while.

13 minutes ago, loz_adele said:

Well my papers are always in order, but sometimes I don't even get an Absage, you just hear nothing. I assume they just go to people who earn more, who knows. I'm not arrogant enough to think I'm the best candidate but it's not like we're going for luxury apartments here. When I have had a rejection I've tried asking some for the reasons in the hopes of improving my chances in future but so far no responses there either, I guess they can't be arsed with any of that. But I'll keep on going. I figure, eventually we have to be successful! Failing that I guess we might have to go live with my parents in the UK for a while, or maybe a hostel, if the worst comes to the worst. It just gets you down though after a while.

I hope you've been telling the prospective landlord that you're expecting/have an newborn baby and that it's urgent. Barring credibility problems I tend to rent out on a first in first served basis, but in your case I'd want to rent to you. It also worked with my friends: she started crying with the two children while visiting the apartment: she got it. 

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

That's been the case in Munich for nigh on 30 years. You do have a chance if you go to enough of them and your papers are in order.

it's been like that in Munich since 1978 - for me - and maybe even before that. Renting is always extremely hard. "Papers in order" is very important - and "presenting yourself". 

Back when I was still renting - long, long time ago - I treated the search for housing just like the search for employment: showcase your best self. 

Don't tell the landlord what you need/want, make them see that you have what they need/want.

Once I graduated from tenant to home owner, and then to landlord, I realized why I had such a hard time finding my first "rathole" of an apartment to rent: I came across as "needy". 

Here's what I look for in a potential tenant: 

they are going to be able to pay the rent

they are in long term

they will take good care of my property

they see me as their "partner", not their "enemy"

Thanks that's all very helpful! I'm actually on my way to a viewing right now. We always make sure we're well groomed and ask lots of questions. I admit we have always tried not to appear desperate. We don't always mention the Eigenbedarf, we usually just say we're looking for a bigger place now we have a child and emphasise we want somewhere long term. Then we send the necessary documents proving earnings & good credit score etc.

On 4/19/2021, 9:15:52, dmbartender said:

I do not think the chances are good that we can stay --  Plus, who would want to stay after fighting in court with the owner? I wouldn't want that drama. Plus, it IS his house, not mine. But it may still be a good idea to get a lawyer, if that means we might get a payout. I wonder what that might entail...? Moving expenses?

Even if you are planning to go, and even if he might succeed should your force him to take you to court for an eviction, that doesn't mean you can't try to squeeze him. 

Just be frank.  "Mr. Landlord, this having to move thing is a pain but we're gonna do it because we aren't mean and nasty.  BUT, if you really want to make sure we play by your rules and go in 3 months instead of taking a little longer, it would be nice if you helped us out, z.B. we'll stop paying rent as of today," OR something else you want that you think you could squeeze out of him. 

No need for a lawyer to do that.   It's business.  Though it could also be smoothed over with a lawyer. 

Maybe you could increase your chances of finding a new place by offering to pay the rent in advance. That´s what I did. I managed to get a contract for 2 years with an option to extend it by another 20 years and the the landlord unilaterally waiving his right to terminate it (as long as I´m fulfilling all my obligations, of course) while I can give 3 months notice,  in exchange for paying the rent for 2 years in advance. Not in Germany though - but why shouldn´t it work there as well?

15 hours ago, DoubleDTown said:

...we're gonna do it because we aren't mean and nasty... it would be nice if you helped us out, z.B. we'll stop paying rent as of today,"

Pardon me ??

I have to say... that is one hell of a bargain!!

6 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

I have to say... that is one hell of a bargain!!

It's right next to what it looks like a big factory or scrapyard, not to mention a trainline. I wouldn't want to live there, specially not for around €800,000 :wacko:

5 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

It's right next to what it looks like a big factory or scrapyard, not to mention a trainline. I wouldn't want to live there, specially not for around €800,000 :wacko:

omg - don't you just love Google?! one little click, and you see more than the pretty picture in some ad. 

That's how we checked out our house before we even scheduled a showing.

Who needs bedrooms.  BTW, I know of a house here in SZ for sale for 550k, 330 sq.m. plus a 150 sq.m. finished basement.  Quiet area.  Come to SZ people.  It's a hole in the ground town but you can have a nice house in the hole :)

I think I know why OP likes his "Kaff" Großkarolinenfeld.... from satellite images you could almost mistake it for a standard US housing addition. And then there's the local burger joint "Feelgood Bar", which claims to be an "American" restaurant. 

I admit, I am intrigued! As soon as this pandemic thingy is over, I'll take a 30km trip right there. Pepper steak sounds OK to try.

sorry for the OT

2 minutes ago, karin_brenig said:

I think I know why OP likes his "Kaff" Großkarolinenfeld... from satellite images you could almost mistake it for a standard US housing addition. And then there's the local burger joint "Feelgood Bar", which claims to be an "American" restaurant. 

I admit, I am intrigued! As soon as this pandemic thingy is over, I'll take a 30km trip right there. Pepper steak sounds OK to try.

sorry for the OT

I think they want to stay there because their children are settled in the local school, which I can understand.