Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

abuse of nominative pronouns?

67 posts in this topic

From today's guardian newsfeed by Molly Blackall (who seems to be British):

Meghan was advised against making the flight, as she is heavily pregnant with she and Harry’s second child.

There seems to be a trend especially in America to use the nominative where the objective case is called for, especially in people who want to appear lettered. And I'm not talking "it is I" which has some merits.

But this example just takes the cake. Or is it just me? (edit: is it I? ^_^

If "and Harry's" is removed from the sentence, then the pronoun "she" is incorrect.  Perhaps Molly Blackall should have written "...she is heavily pregnant with her second child." and assume the readers will understand that Harry is likely the father.

I don't see how adding Harry forced her pronoun to nominative case. It would be his child, hence the 's which is definitely objective case. 

If she wanted to not use the name, their would have done the job nicely, which again is objective case.

40 minutes ago, capslock said:

If she wanted to not use the name, their would have done the job nicely, which again is objective case.

However, using their would be identifying two people in the first part of the sentence and only Meghan is mentioned. Wouldn't it be correct to say, "...her and Harry's second..."?

Her should know better!

A pet, slightly related annoyance of mine, is the announcement, "We are pregnant," from a couple. No.

For anyone who is totally confused about pronouns these days, I highly recommend the book Identity Crisis by Ben Elton. It is hilarious.

The child belongs to her (and Harry). It's a possesive pronoun not an object pronoun: hers and Harry's second child. There wouldn't be the confusion if the pronoun was male: his vs him.  

12 minutes ago, Dembo said:

The child belongs to her (and Harry). It's a possesive pronoun not an object pronoun: hers and Harry's second child. There wouldn't be the confusion if the pronoun was male: his vs him.  

All made worse by the fact that too many parents think they own/possess their children!!😀

No doubt her, his and their are possive pronouns, but if I am not totally mistaken (bear with me, high school was more than 30 years ago), these are all considered objective case in English. No doubt they are Genitiv case in German or Latin :)

3 hours ago, capslock said:

Meghan was advised against making the flight, as she is heavily pregnant with she and Harry’s second child.

Meghan was advised against making the flight, as she is heavily pregnant with Harry's and her second child.

I don't see what the confusion is.  In no universe would it ever ever ever be "she and Harry's second child."  Ever.

Who gives a flying fuck?

12 minutes ago, capslock said:

No doubt her, his and their are apossive pronouns, but if I am not totally mistaken (bear with me, high school was more than 30 years ago), these are all considered objective case in English. No doubt they are Genitiv case in German or Latin :)

I have to say everything I know about English grammar I learned by learning German. So who knows? 

52 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Who gives a flying fuck?

Literate people care😂

I hope your daughter has a good education- it matters.

From one father to another. And my parents were semi- literate at best. Not their fault. But I wanted more out of life than being semi- literate. NO low expectations... took me ages to get over that.

My daughter gets slagged of when in the UK for using whom.  Like, "What are you, a posh git". LOL.    Also the Guardian sentence is tortuous.  Just rearrange to make it less grating.  Please.

10 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Meghan was advised against making the flight, as she is heavily pregnant with Harry's and her second child.

I don't see what the confusion is.  In no universe would it ever ever ever be "she and Harry's second child."  Ever.

Well, there is the “ only in America thread !”😂

( plus some of my family in England!!)

Generation thing, dessa , and human rights v spelling!😂

( Instead of “ getting a great education is a human right” ... or should be...)👍

My daughter has two Masters Degrees and I am  sometimes shocked by her spelling... 

Back to the generation thing...

( She’s still more intelligent than me, though! Not hard to be)😩😀

30 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

This is what I said in my post.  :D