Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Stop paying rent while abroad, while keeping residency

4 posts in this topic

I have signed an employment contract where it's possible for me to work on a mobile basis or in the office. It is been a long time since I spent time with my family, back home (in a non-EU country), and I would like to spend the maximum allowed time with them, while keep working with my current German employer, and then come back again to Germany.

I have a blue card and I am applying for a permanent residency. I read on the website that it's possible to stay up to 12 months (6 months for non-BC) outside Germany without affecting your residency, as long as you're not intending/ or show signs, that you are moving out permanently (for example: starting a job or studies ...etc).

I want to make sure I do everything lawfully. I will pay my taxes of course, and my private insurance, and all the other bills. The only thing that does not make a lot of sense to me is paying for rent for almost a year without being here. and I was thinking if I terminate my tenancy without de-registering, and at the same time rent a PO to receive mails, would be an acceptable thing to do? This way I'm still registered and no need to ask a friend to sublet a room for me or something like that.

Otherwise, I would appreciate if you can guide me towards more lawful (less costly) alternatives? 

47 minutes ago, medk said:

I want to make sure I do everything lawfully.

47 minutes ago, medk said:

I was thinking if I terminate my tenancy without de-registering, and at the same time rent a PO to receive mails, would be an acceptable thing to do?

Remaining registered at an address where you are no longer living is a violation of the BMG

Furthermore, be advised that landlords have the right to ask the Meldebehörde for a list of everyone registered in the properties they own and to have former tenants who've moved removed.

You need to be living in the place you are registered, but it's not a requirement that you literally sleep there every night and this accommodates the "I am temporarily moving out of the country" scenario. For example, German students don't do the Abmeldung if they have an exchange year abroad. 

My advice is to find a friend with a large house who can cheaply rent you a room, move in your things and register there.

On 4/17/2021, 2:12:14, medk said:

Otherwise, I would appreciate if you can guide me towards more lawful (less costly) alternatives? 

If you do not need to be in Hamburg physically every day, why do you rent there? Move to a cheaper town, rent a studio there. I don't know the prices in the north, but Rostock in East Germany must be way cheaper than Hamburg, for example. 

I terminate my tenancy without de-registering, and at the same time rent a PO to receive mails, would be an acceptable thing to do

No. Non-citizens have it hard, man. You also want your healthcare to continue (both for residency purposes and for the case you will need a treatment), for this you need an address.