Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Stop paying rent while abroad, while keeping residency

2 posts in this topic

I have signed an employment contract where it's possible for me to work on a mobile basis or in the office. It is been a long time since I spent time with my family, back home (in a non-EU country), and I would like to spend the maximum allowed time with them, while keep working with my current German employer, and then come back again to Germany.

I have a blue card and I am applying for a permanent residency. I read on the website that it's possible to stay up to 12 months (6 months for non-BC) outside Germany without affecting your residency, as long as you're not intending/ or show signs, that you are moving out permanently (for example: starting a job or studies ...etc).

I want to make sure I do everything lawfully. I will pay my taxes of course, and my private insurance, and all the other bills. The only thing that does not make a lot of sense to me is paying for rent for almost a year without being here. and I was thinking if I terminate my tenancy without de-registering, and at the same time rent a PO to receive mails, would be an acceptable thing to do? This way I'm still registered and no need to ask a friend to sublet a room for me or something like that.

Otherwise, I would appreciate if you can guide me towards more lawful (less costly) alternatives? 

47 minutes ago, medk said:

I want to make sure I do everything lawfully.

47 minutes ago, medk said:

I was thinking if I terminate my tenancy without de-registering, and at the same time rent a PO to receive mails, would be an acceptable thing to do?

Remaining registered at an address where you are no longer living is a violation of the BMG

Furthermore, be advised that landlords have the right to ask the Meldebehörde for a list of everyone registered in the properties they own and to have former tenants who've moved removed.