Can landlords evict you or refuse to fix problems because you are not fluent in german?

26 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

One can report Ausländerunfreundlichkeit to the police. No cost.

We did.

is Ausländerunfreundlichkeit against the law though or him just being a dick?

6 hours ago, LeonG said:

Is it though?  I got legal insurance years ago, probably shortly after I moved here, based on loads of people here saying it was necessary.  I paid for it for several years and then I finally had a problem.  So I talked to the legal insurance and they said, oh, we don't cover that.  I'm looking at my contract saying hey, should be covered though? and they say no.  So I cancelled them.  A friend of mine had the exact same experience.  So what do you do when you have a dispute with the legal insurance?  Get legal insurance for it?

As with all insurances, you either benefit or lose money with it. Still, there are many side uses for it beyond actually going to court.

I already used it in all the cases I enumerated. My guess is it saved me at least 7000€ in the past 8 years.

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

As with all insurances, you either benefit or lose money with it. Still, there are many side uses for it beyond actually going to court.

I already used it in all the cases I enumerated. My guess is it saved me at least 7000€ in the past 8 years.

The main problem in my view is that you have to be worried that they may terminate your contract if you use them. It happened to me when they had to fork out quite a bit because I lost a property-related case with quite a bit at stake. Even though it was the only time I used them they kicked me out.  And once you´ve been kicked out by one company you won´t find another one which will accept you. I only managed to get cover again by having my wife take out insurance. Another problem may be that they´ll only provide cover as long as you´re residing in Germany. Most don´t if you move abroad.

8 hours ago, ExPattheDog said:

is Ausländerunfreundlichkeit against the law though or him just being a dick?

It was against the law when we reported our neighbor. The police arranged a mediation for us which worked just fine. They don't like to clog up the courts with petty cases like that.

6 hours ago, jeba said:

The main problem in my view is that you have to be worried that they may terminate your contract if you use them. It happened to me when they had to fork out quite a bit because I lost a property-related case with quite a bit at stake. Even though it was the only time I used them they kicked me out.  And once you´ve been kicked out by one company you won´t find another one which will accept you. I only managed to get cover again by having my wife take out insurance. Another problem may be that they´ll only provide cover as long as you´re residing in Germany. Most don´t if you move abroad.

That's why I have all my insurances bundled together.

2 weeks ago I did a yearly meeting with my insurance agent and it seems I'm paying 3750€ for all my insurances (cars, house, legal, etc, etc), so he won't kick me out for something like that.

My rough calculations shows I paid them around 18.000€ in the past 8 years. At the same time, between money I saved in court, dental, car accident, etc, I would say I got back around 12.000€. Not bad.