Where to hide comfortably

15 posts in this topic

This morning I had a nice surprise when I checked my broker account statement. There has a potentially life-changing erroneous entry happened in my favour. Any advice on where to transfer a few millions and myself to before they realise it was an error?:ph34r:

It´s unbelievable but the same thing happened to my late mother 15 years or so ago.

Obviously, if you've been paid in error and you know it was an error, then you need to repay. That said, do you think it's worth considering keeping the funds safely in an interest bearing account until the company has made arrangements for its return? I suppose with current interest rates, that might be more effort than it's worth.

In an alternative world (one in which you aren't worried about being arrested), start writing a book about how someone managed to cheat their way to fortune: a sort of latter day Count of Montecristo (trying to get his revenge on an evil company which ripped off his mother over a decade ago). The hero of the story would start rather unglamorously by adding a layer of admin/beaurocracy by setting up a company with a bank account in, say, Latvia giving that company the same name or similar name as the company which paid you, and "return" the payment to that bank account. The hero would then have a record that they made a "genuine" attempt to "return" the payment, when the original owner asked for the cash back. Consequently, the owner of the funds might blindly start to chase that Latvian company. In the meantime, that Latvian company might have set up a trust fund in, say Bermuda, which then has legal ownership of the ill-gotten funds. That makes it far harder/more expensive for the true owner to trace, and even then, they do not find the beneficial owner. The beneficiary of that trust fund could be the hero...sitting on a beach in Greece?

Hmmm, I think there are probably too many holes in the plot to give up the day job and start a career as a writer...or criminal.     

1 hour ago, dstanners said:

In an alternative world (one in which you aren't worried about being arrested),

Well, that´s the part which is still keeping me put where I am. It´s a pity that I haven´t studied criminology so I´d know how to pull that off without being caught.

I find it mindboggling that such things can happen at all and that it´s the second time within one family. As if they made that kind of transfers manually. They credited my account with stocks I´ve never bought nor paid for. In my mother´s case it took them more than a week to cancel the erroneous booking (and in her case was more than 6 million US$). In both cases I´m talking about US-brokerages.

Find out which counties Greece does not have an extradition agreement with. Monaco is nice this time of year...

The films always have characters with 'Swiss numbered accounts'.

Those Swiss have a thing about their banking secrecy. 

No beaches though...

3 hours ago, tor said:

Find out which counties Greece does not have an extradition agreement with. Monaco is nice this time of year...

( mum’s the word!😂 Cyprus is not in Greece!)

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

6 hours ago, jeba said:

It´s unbelievable but the same thing happened to my late mother 15 years or so ago.

What happened after?  Did your mother repay?

59 minutes ago, emkay said:

What happened after?  Did your mother repay?

My mom hadn´t taken it out of her account and after more than a week it was reversed without further comment.

People went to prison because did not report the mistake and instead spent the money.

Good luck 😃

By the way, how much did you get?🤣

Last night I received an email stating that they had a software problem and that account statements had been incorrect. A corrected version was attached. Waiving goodbye to 1.2 million $.:(

Once upon a lifetime ago, in my twenties, a company I had left continued to pay my salary for 3 whole months even though I'd gone.

Being a struggling pauper in my new job, I found the extra salary comforting. I stuck it each month in a separate

account but they never asked for it back (and I didn't tell) 

They wrote payroll software too...

These days I have a better adjusted moral compass and have kids who need good examples. 

Still, nothing like your $1.2m...

*Temptation knocks at the door*

Is the number 1.2 million coincidental or not?

A former sheriff's dispatcher in a suburb of New Orleans has been arrested and accused of refusing to return more than $1.2 million that had been accidentally deposited into her brokerage account, authorities said.

Kelyn Spadoni, 33, was taken into custody Wednesday on charges of theft valued over $25,000, bank fraud and illegal transmission of monetary funds, nola.com and WVUE-TV reported. The reports said she was fired by the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office after her arrest.

Spadoni is being held at the Jefferson Parish Correctional Center on a $50,000 bond. It was unknown if she has an attorney who could speak on her behalf.

Spadoni is accused of immediately moving the funds to another account and using some of the money to buy a new car and a house, authorities said.

Authorities said a clerical error had caused Charles Schwab, a major financial services corporation, to deposit more than $1.2 million into her brokerage account when it only meant to transfer about $82 in February, nola.com reported. When the bank attempted to reclaim the money, the request was rejected because the money was not available, according to the sheriff's office.

rest here

Some years ago, the municipality of Amsterdam transferred €188 million instead of €1,88 million to 9000 people in total living on social benefits. €2,44 million was never recovered. Some of them were running to the bank, withdrew the money and then party time. Mixing up dots and commas in amounts can be tricky :).